Direct Drive vs. Idler Drive vs. Belt drive

I'd like to know your thoughts on the strengths and weaknesses of each drive system. I can see that direct drive is more in vogue over the last few years but is it superior to the other drive systems? I've had first-hand experiences with two out of the three drive systems but looking to learn more.
scar972
@edgewear It's funny because on my original box from CU-180 i have a nice sticker on the right corner: "MICRO GOLD DISC CU-180" 

Like Voyager Golden Disc ?

Look at two different samples of CU-180 

On the right sample the grooves are deeper, both samples are originals. 
Even diameter can be different within +/- 0.2 mm as stated in the manual. 

I am using an original Micro Seiki gunmetal mat on my DD Brinkmann. Nevertheless I prefer the TTW carbon fiber mat on my DD Denon, quite an heavy item.

best
Hi @thuchan ,

Did you have an experience with DD EMT turntables (950, 948, 938)?

Regards,
Alex.
Atmasphere, it is my understanding that a properly designed air bearing turntable is virtually as stiff as any solid bearing. The platters are very heavy and the air boundary is very thin on the order of microns. It is extremely compressed. Just the mass of the platter would make minute vertical movements impossible without rather extreme force. Having said all this I think it would be extremely difficult to hear the difference between and SME 30/12 and an Air Force One. But, the Air Force One is three times the price due to the added complexity and expense of machining opposing faces of the air bearing to such high tolerances. 
My own feeling is that it is complexity for complexity's sake.  

IMHO a properly designed Belt drive turntable such as the Sota Cosmos, the SME 30/12, and the Basis Debut are the best solution to this problem.
The problem with Direct Drives is a big oscillating magnetic device directly under a very sensitive magnetic device. With Idler Wheel tables it is the added mechanical complexity adding noise (rumble)   
I had Nottingham Spacedeck and moved to heavy plinth Lenco 78 with SME 3009mk2 tonearm.
Lenco won in term of PRaT, piano and organ tone, better bass, better instrument separation, more musical. No rumble.
And Lenco wasn’t expensive High End turntable it was mid budget turntable.
Belt drive like Nottingham kills rhythm nuances and plays separate sounds. The general picture of music the essence of interpretation itself is disappears.

Regards,
Alex.