Herron VTSP-2a vs EAR 324

Has anyone heard both of these phono preamps? I'd love to hear impressions. I've had the Herron so I know what it sounds like so I'm using it as a point of reference, but I'm thinking of a non tube phone preamp. Cartridge is a Decca London Super Gold so I'm using MM only.
dhcod
  dhcod "I'm interested in the difference in the presentation, noise level, etc between the two so I can make a buying decision based on the opinions of people"

That is a very poor, unsatisfactory, incomplete way to "make a buying decision" is that how you buy other products not intended for use in your Music Reproduction System would you buy a boat or car that way?
Well, have you ever been on the website bringatrailer.com? People buy cars and boats and motorcycles, some incredibly expensive, in just this way. It’s a vibrant community of enthusiasts who post opinions and suggestions, somewhat similar to here. I can simply listen to the comments of people whose opinions I have may have read before on other matters, and then purchase and item that just may work for me. And then if it doesn’t, just resell it!

Not sure what the problem is here, but please have a nice day!

dhcod
"
Well, have you ever been on the website bringatrailer.com? People buy cars and boats and motorcycles, some incredibly expensive, in just this way."

I would never buy a car without driving it first or a boat without a sea trial but of course you are free to make those types of decisions such as buying Music Reproduction System Component's based on the opinion of other's who you may not even know or ever even meet!
Thanks millercarbon I think that's exactly where I stand right now. Tempted. Thanks for a very useful response!
It doesn't have to be all tubes vs all SS.  There are several hybrid designs that use discrete transistors in conjunction with tubes to achieve high gain with low noise.  Manley makes two such phono stages, but there are more.