Herron VTSP-2a vs EAR 324

Has anyone heard both of these phono preamps? I'd love to hear impressions. I've had the Herron so I know what it sounds like so I'm using it as a point of reference, but I'm thinking of a non tube phone preamp. Cartridge is a Decca London Super Gold so I'm using MM only.
dhcod

Showing 13 responses by dhcod

Well, have you ever been on the website bringatrailer.com? People buy cars and boats and motorcycles, some incredibly expensive, in just this way. It’s a vibrant community of enthusiasts who post opinions and suggestions, somewhat similar to here. I can simply listen to the comments of people whose opinions I have may have read before on other matters, and then purchase and item that just may work for me. And then if it doesn’t, just resell it!

Not sure what the problem is here, but please have a nice day!
Hmmm. Because specifically tube components sound different than solid state components and in this particular case, I'm comparing only these two very different units? I know from experience that both of these companies reproduce music exceptionally well, but I'm interested in the difference in the presentation, noise level, etc between the two so I can make a buying decision based on the opinions of people here who are generally pretty smart.
Thanks millercarbon I think that's exactly where I stand right now. Tempted. Thanks for a very useful response!
bdp24 I actually don't have the Herron any more. I was just using it a point of reference. I loved it with my prior cartridges but with the Decca I found a couple phono preamps that sounded better. Thanks so much for your other advice though! Really helpful.

Thanks cdavids449! I have heard the Aethetix and that's a great comparison for me. I bought the 324 listed here. Hopefully it'll be what I'm looking for. It'll certainly be a very interesting and fun experiment.
So the 324 is quite good. Not sure it’s as tactile or has as good of soundstage as a top tube phono pre but no noise is a pretty good trade off.... so far. One thing for sure is the 324 benefits from being left on. I wasn't sure at first but I think after a week it really started to sound good, different. I’ll swap back in a tube phono this weekend and decide which one stays.
I've experimented with the settings and I have to say I'm not hearing much of a difference with any of them. I have tried both inputs and the MM only input sounds better for sure, yet all the impedance and capacitance values sound basically the same.
I demoed an Accession for a couple weeks. It was really enjoyable sounding. Not at the level of the 324 but pretty incredible for 1/4 of the price.
Thanks for the info. I've tried all the options. I don't think it's uncommon to not hear a difference. Some cartridges are affected more than others.
Ended up sticking with the 324 over a few tube phonos (all in the same price range.) Not 100% satisfied because the mids aren't quite as silky smooth and the imaging isn't as cohesive but I really missed the bass when I swapped the 324 out.

Never ending quest.
Already gone. I sold it for more than I paid for the first time every in my life! Ebay in like 3 hours.
Final report, in case anyone is following it. I enjoyed the EAR 324 for a couple months but the more I listened, I realized I just wasn't happy with the presentation. Vocals were more out front than I prefer and guitars were not as present, a bit muted even. Dynamics and bass are excellent however so I moved up to a Lamm LP2, which seems to be giving me everything in a much more pleasing presentation. Hard to beat tubes in in a phono preamp.