Adding shielding to existing cables

So I have some interconnects that are picking up all sorts of RFi. I know this for two reasons, one, as I move them around the noisy/buzz sound changes, and two, when I switch them out for shielded interconnects the noise goes away.

so, I bought some tinned copper shielding and some new RCA plugs. I’m going to cut the existing RCA plugs off the existing cable and install the new shielding and new plugs. The thing is the new plugs have a plastic body so there is nowhere to easily connect the shielding to ground.

I was thinking of running a pigtail from the shielding and attachIng an eyelet to ground it to my preamp since there is a grounding lug. Would this work or is there a better way given what I intend to use?

last_lemming
It's a pretty bad idea.
If you don't want to buy a new RCA shielded cable, and you wanna have some fun the only advice I would give you is to paint the whole cables and connectors with a mix of white glue and tourmaline powder.
Just remember that the process will be irreversible.
But honestly, I would opt for a new shielded RCA cable.
“Rest assured, if there is snake oil in these products, it sure looks like physics to me. All the data is measured and real.”
-Galen Gareis, Senior Product Project Engineer for Belden Wire and Cable

As John Darko recommends, I'll listen to the experts first before I lean on my own understanding!
@williewonka 

Steve, you mention "skin effect" in the following page on Helix structure for speaker wire or ICs.
I have read that skin effect is a component of AC current, not DC. How is it a challenge here?

http://www.image99.net/blog/files/category-002a002a-the-helix-image-interconnect.html
scroydon
... you mention "skin effect" in the following page on Helix structure for speaker wire or ICs.I have read that skin effect is a component of AC current, not DC. How is it a challenge here?
An audio signal is AC.
OK, I’ll say it again. The voltage and current in a DC or AC circuit do not (rpt not) have frequency as a component or characteristic. The alternating frequency is not the same thing as frequency of the signal traveling through wire.