long lasting cart

I listen to records about 30 to 40 hours a week in my home office. I have a Music Hall 5.1 with a Nagaoka mp 200. Thinking about a Soundsmith zepher ll. But it would only last 6 months. So maybe ?????
ttocs1269
I would not be so dismissive of VTF as a variable for record and diamond wear.

There is a given recommended VTF for any cartridge by the manufacturer, life span of the stylus stated for a given (recommended) tracking force, however there is a range, but the difference is so tiny, so i don’t think it’s a big problem. I always use recommended tracking force from the manual, but it can be a bit lower or a bit higher and that’s also stated in the manual.

People who love the analog does not use just one cartridge, they got many cartridges in rotation, it’s a part of the hobby.

As far as the Garrott Optim FGS, the life cost for 2000 hrs is $1150 for the cartridge and $660 for retip (non user replaceable)

@antinn This is AUSTRALIAN Dollars, not USD :) You can correct your calculations
AUD 1150 = USD $705 and this is a cost of the cartridge
AUD 660 = USD $405 and this is a cost of stylus exchange
Fair price for such cartridge with F.Gyger stylus profile.

Feel the difference, it’s Australian company, shipping worldwide is not a problem for a cartridge.

@chakster,

Error noted.  However, the $1150 AUD$ includes a 10% tax that is deleted if selling to US, so the USA$ price drops to about $625, and with $35 express shipping = about $660; hard to argue with that price :).  Not sure if the stylus retip is also = +10%, but if not 2000-hr cost is about $1100 with shipping = about $0.55/hr, not a bad price.
Yeah. The price is great, but don't forget that Garrott can be purchased from audiophiles, i bought mine from audiogon member from Australia long time ago, he had a stylus counter for all his cartridges. I bought very low hrs sample for funny price, it was the progonal Garrott P77. 

Very few people on this forum are using Garrott cartridges, those cartridges are great! 

I understand that the better cartridges/styluses product better sound as well as more longevity . . . but if I am satisfied with the sound from a conical or elliptical stylus, wouldn’t it be cheaper to just buy more such styluses and change them as needed rather than to buy a more expensive cartridge/stylus and use it for the expected life?  

I saw a conical stylus to fit my old Pickering cartridge for just $29 — I could buy 5 or 10 or more of those for less than I might spent for one high-quality cartridge with stylus.
@bob540

yes, you can

i’ve heard it before from many record collectors, they don’t understand why anyone need a decent speakers, amps, turntables, cartridges ... If if they wish to have it then just don't buy it for some reason. All they need is records! Some of them are very deep into records, and they got very rare originals (and good taste in music too), but they’re listening great records on the cheapest equipment, most of them always claiming they will not be able to hear any difference between their $100 cartridges with worn styli and some decent $300 cartridges.

However, when i played some of their favorite records in my system everyone hear a better resolution, greater dynamics, deeper and wider soundstage and so on and on ...

I could bring a cartridge and a phono stage to a friends too, once they hear the difference in their own system people often ask for the same cartridge or same phono stage, they don’t want to go back to the sound they have been living with.

Improvement is great, but it is very important to make sure there is an improvement and then you’re hooked.

There is no miracle, if you understand how it works (inside a phono cartridge) then it’s impossible to deny an obvious things. Stylus shape is one of the most important thing for accurate reproduction of vinyl media.

A cartridge with $300-500 price tag is fun to have, it is all about fun after all. A $3000 cartridge is definitely for fanatics, but a $300-500 cartridge is affordable, one LP re-issue cost $30 today, original record cost $100 easily, some rare records cost way over $300 and it’s just a piece of plastic.

A cartridge is not a piece of plastic and $300-500 cartridge is quite normal today. Replacement stylus with the most advanced profile can cost $300-400 for such cartridge, but this is 2000hrs of satisfaction and pure joy.