Adding shielding to existing cables

So I have some interconnects that are picking up all sorts of RFi. I know this for two reasons, one, as I move them around the noisy/buzz sound changes, and two, when I switch them out for shielded interconnects the noise goes away.

so, I bought some tinned copper shielding and some new RCA plugs. I’m going to cut the existing RCA plugs off the existing cable and install the new shielding and new plugs. The thing is the new plugs have a plastic body so there is nowhere to easily connect the shielding to ground.

I was thinking of running a pigtail from the shielding and attachIng an eyelet to ground it to my preamp since there is a grounding lug. Would this work or is there a better way given what I intend to use?

last_lemming
Kudos to your DIY spirit!!

Thanks for letting me know what happened.

How is the sound, do you feel like you lost any treble or mids??
While we have to keep memory of sound and psychoacoustics into effect, from what I can tell there has been no loss of sound quality. 

Not to muddy the water but I'm considering the following advice from DIY blogger, Steve Reese. Steve has compelling ideas for making one's own speaker wires, ICs and power cables.

http://www.image99.net/blog/files/4127b5fe2694586e383104364360373b-74.html

Any thoughts, anyone, on Steve's reasoning?

@scroydon - Steve Reeve aka Williewonka responding...

The responses you may get could be quite varied, some positive and some stating that my ideas and approach to cable design is absurd.

Some may state the cables do not work as well as they thought, but fail to mention they DID NOT use the wires and the connectors identified on the web site.

Some may cast dispersions as to my being an "agent" for KLE Innovations, because of the products I use/promote/audition on the site

I try not to get involved in debating the various opinions, but I will offer assistance to anyone wishing to build the Helix cables.

Several Agon’ers have elected to try them and are extremely happy with them - I just hope some of them catch this thread and post their positive feedback, but on reflection, I would not blame them for staying out this one either :-)

If you are of the mind that silver wires are harsh, I can recommend very good copper wires to replace them

If you have any questions, please contact me at the email address on the website - I am here to assist

Regards - Steve :-)
Steve,

before I knew about your praise for KLE connectors I stumbled upon them and Duelund wires and made myself a set of interconnects. I was quite pleased when I plugged them in and listened. I now want to make an XLR set with Duelund wires, can this be done with the helix method?