Klipsch Forte III--Pleasantly Surprised

First off, I have to say that I always had significant bias against Klipsch speakers. I thought maybe some of the Heritage Series were possibly decent, but in no way audiophile grade.

I recently bought a pair of Forte’s in distressed white oak. They look super vintage and the grills are very tasteful. My impetus for the purchase was I moved to a house this past spring that has a dedicated music room for me, and I wanted to experiment seeking a bigger sound as the room is large (25 long x 15 wide x 10 foot high ceilings). My system is the following:

Winter: Primaluna Dialgoue HP Premium Integrated,
Summer: Schitt Freya, NAD M51
Constant Year Long: Bluesound Node 2, NAD M22 DAC, Manley Chinook Phono Pre, Technics 1200 GAE Turntable, AudioTechnica ART9 Cartridge.

I’m really enjoying the Forte IIIs out of the boxes. I haven’t even tried them out with with tube amps (only tube pre) yet. I thought they would be fatiguing and have tons of bass. The treble spectrum (midrange northbound) is sweet and doesn’t sound cupped. The bass is perfectly integrated but not as prominent as I’d expected. The soundstage is seamless and they are not fussy about positioning.

The other thing that surprised me was how much of the NAD M22 juice I can use. I thought that I’d never move volume much due to the whopping power of the NAD M22--not true. So this is making me curious--what will happen when I hook up my 300B tube integrated? I think it has 8W per side. Will I miss the NAD’s power? That’s going to be fun experiment.

And, it’s going to be super interesting to try the Primaluna integrated with them. I can’t wait to see if I like my KT150s or EL34 variants better.

I’m not going to give some glowing review because it’s too soon and I’ve learned some speakers may sound so so with one system and great with another and even more so with different rooms. There is, however, a big takeaway for me personally: I can use reviews as guides but you have to try stuff out in your room with your stuff to really know. I recently sold a near mint pair of KEF LS50s because my $500 Wharfedale Dentons just sang better with my Creek integrated in the specific room they are in (downstairs system). And that doesn't say anything about the KEFs--they are still amazing boxes.  

128x128jbhiller
jbhiller,
You make a point worth repeating. All great loudspeaker designs have their strong suits, but if you are one like myself who finds that more realistic dynamics are an indispensable part of what makes reproduced music sound more "real", then horn designs are really attractive choice. I look back on certain attributes of speakers that I've owned in the past fondly, and with respect to their designers, but it wouldn't take me away from the horns that I've been using for over 10 years now.                                        
I agree that vintage horn designs seem to get to the life of the music...it’s soul if you will!  I went with JBL 4429’s for my system, but Klipsch also sounded realistic when demoing them.  So dynamic and alive sounding without compression...Coltrane comes on stage and performs for me anytime I desire!
As far as your tubes are concerned. I really
liked the 6550’s vs EL34 and other tubes. Just a thought
to follow up again.  I finally lugged my Kef Blade 2s back into the system.  I can't warm back up them.  Life in music is missing.  Maybe speakers like the Blade 2s are meant to play the finest recordings only?  They are much more refined and imaging is clearly superior but what about the heart and soul of music?  I like all kinds and don't pick what I listen to based on recording quality.  The Klipsch will forgive lesser recordings (are they really lesser?) If the recording is a good song that is most important and it's a shame to not hear things because the recording isn't good enough for your audiophile system.  I've been and this for a long time and come full circle.  Some hi fi systems rob the music of it's ability to deliver it's message.