Subwoofer insight.

This is new territory to me. Current speakers are 2 way with frequency response of 60Hz-20KHz with +/- 2dB.  Sensitivity rated as 86dB. Chance to purchase a pair of REL 7 tis. I feel like I am missing something but will have to buy the subs to try out. My basic question is this. Does this purchase sound wise? I know what I am willing to spend but do you think I will notice an appreciable improvement.  I know that no one can listen through my ears but this is my first time doing this. Source is 75 watt integrated tube amp, McIntosh MA-2275. Thoughts appreciated. I am leaning towards going forward with the deal but would appreciate some feedback. Room is large and open, 28X38 feet with 9 foot ceilings. Thanks for any feedback.
ricmci
There's a reason you see RELs with 2 channel high end systems at the shows.
Better profit margins for the dealers?
There's simply a level of nuance in spacial reproduction that the other's don't match. There is much more to a sub-woofer than going thump really loud at 20 hz.
Hi

Just went through something similar. Got some good advice here, which I implemented yesterday with great success!

Thread is here, might be worth your time looking at:

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/active-line-level-crossover-with-subwoofer-out-help?lastpage=...
Spacial reproduction has nothing to do with REL, or any particular sub for that matter. Whoever REL has hired for marketing isn't being paid enough. Anyone capable of that degree of mind control ought to be working for CIA or the Fed, its just astounding. Fully expect any day now to be reading REL has cured the common cold, brought peace to the mideast, eliminated dandruff and who knows maybe even cancer. Its just nuts.

Truth is any 4 subs spaced asymmetrically around the room will get you there. My system has 2 sealed, 2 ported, and one powered, and read the comments the bass is incredible, totally integrated, and 3D. This 5 subs completely disappear, the bass is as beautifully imaged as all the rest, and this has been the case no matter where they are moved ever since going from one to 4, and finally 5.

Sorry. Not saying REL doesn't make a good sub. Simply saying REL doesn't make a good enough sub for one to be better than 4. No one does. You want good bass, you get 4. Its that simple.