Bryston & Harbeths - Good Match?

I have a Bryston 4b SST2 amp and am looking to upgrade from my Vandersteen 2ce Sigs. I like the Vandy’s but I think they are a bit large for my 15’ x 18’ room.

I have been looking at the Harbeth SHL5’s and I have not seen much written about them with the Bryston. Does anyone here have any experience with this combination?

I am also considering the Totem Mani 2’s, Dynaudio’s and a few others. I really hate giving up the low end of the Vandy’s so I am looking for something that might come close in my small room. I really don’t want to go the sub route.

I am looking at used speakers and my budget is in the $2k to $4k range. Any comments and or suggestions are welcome. Oh, I listen to a wide range of music. From Diana Krall to Elvis Costello to Jimmy Buffett.

Thanks.
ben77059
Cmo...A weekend in Austin visiting dealers might be a good idea.

It seems that in my budget – up to $4k – there is just a plethora of options. It’s too bad it’s not as simple as, the higher the price, the better the speaker.

For a while, I was looking at the Sonas Faber line, but many reviews seem to say it’s an okay speaker in a really nice box.

As I research Totem, I keep running into comparisons with Ohm Micro. Most posts seem to favor the Ohm Micro and they cost less. Anyone here have an opinion?

As I mentioned, my room is fairly small. Are the any speakers that love being close to the back wall? It seems like most high-end speakers like being two feet or more from the back wall. That puts my sitting position about eight feet from the front of the speaker. That’s not too close, but if it’s a big floor stander, it feels like they are right on top of you.
The Ohm line is definitely worth a look. Whether their "pseudo-omni" presentation floats your boat is something you'd have to judge for yourself, but the Micro Walsh Talls boast a tiny footprint, great low end, tonal neutrality (great for voices) and a sweet top end. And with the 3 month no risk (except for shipping) home trial, you don't have much to lose.

In my experience, FWIW, the Ohms like lots of solid state power, so you should be in good shape with your Bryston electronics.

And yeah, come up to Austin and say howdy. :-)