Subwoofer insight.

This is new territory to me. Current speakers are 2 way with frequency response of 60Hz-20KHz with +/- 2dB.  Sensitivity rated as 86dB. Chance to purchase a pair of REL 7 tis. I feel like I am missing something but will have to buy the subs to try out. My basic question is this. Does this purchase sound wise? I know what I am willing to spend but do you think I will notice an appreciable improvement.  I know that no one can listen through my ears but this is my first time doing this. Source is 75 watt integrated tube amp, McIntosh MA-2275. Thoughts appreciated. I am leaning towards going forward with the deal but would appreciate some feedback. Room is large and open, 28X38 feet with 9 foot ceilings. Thanks for any feedback.
ricmci
Listen to My Compensation by Laurie Anderson and you will change your mind.
Good advice to OP. Spend an extra $3k to accommodate one album you don’t have. 
rwwear,
"The REL's just aren't real subs IMO. They don't even go down to 20hz. I have a friend with a pair of the REL Carbons. Even he acknowledges they don't perform like mine. I personally own Velodyne DD15s and I love them but would go for the SVS 16's if I needed a replacement. But you are right about personal preference Ric."
Have you ever heard SVS 16's or a REL in your system? 
We have different opinions about what's a real sub. I've owned SVS,  HSU, Martin Logan, JL Audio, and now REL. REL subwoofers don't thump like some subwoofers. In my system they provide different shades of bass and improve sound across the entire audio spectrum. In my opinion REL subs are very special with 2-channel, but they aren't the kind of subs that standout.   
No. I haven't heard them in my system but I've heard them in systems I'm well aware of. Setup is the key to making a sub work without thumping. The REL subs are decent but overpriced for less in many educated opinions.