Why the obsession with the lowest octave

From what is written in these forums and elsewhere see the following for instance.

Scroll down to the chart showing the even lowest instruments in this example recording rolling off very steeply at 40 Hz.

http://www.homerecordingconnection.com/news.php?action=view_story&id=154

It would appear that there is really very little to be heard between 20 and 40 Hz. Yet having true "full range" speakers is often the test of a great speaker. Does anyone beside me think that there is little to be gained by stretching the speakers bass performance below 30-40 cycles?
My own speakers make no apologies for going down to only 28 Hz and they are big floor standers JM Lab Electra 936s.
mechans
Feel me and he nailed it , sounds like more of his distortions! I went to a Blue Man concert and I sure could feel it in mid hall or balcony. Let's just bloviate with more of the idle chatter, which smells to the high heavens.

Feel me ?
Lithojoe - Seeing the word "bloviate" reminded me of the excellent comic series:

Non Sequitur Political Zoology Field Guide

http://lawwreview.blogspot.com/2010/12/political-zoology-field-guide-tone-deaf.html

I think this link will get you to the bloviate one, but there is an entire series if you do a little looking, it's worth your time.
This word was one of the few contributions to our culture by Warren G. Harding if I remember correctly. At least he was the one that popularized it.
'
Yeah, I'm going with what Tvad said.

I have a set of Infinity IRS Betas. According to the spec sheet they go down to 15 hz. Every year around the first of the year for the past three years I've put them up for sale, this year is no different. Every year around July or August I get sick and tired of them taking up so much room in my living room (they are 4-chassis speakers with a total of eight 12 inch woofers in two bass towers five and a half feet tall). So I put them in storage and trot out my Infinity Kappa 9. The Kappa 9 have great bass with two 12 inch woofers per speaker and they go down to 29 hz. I am thoroughly satisfied with the bass of the Kappa 9. When potential buyers call me for an audition of the Betas, I have to bring them out and set them up for an audition. Once I get them set up and start playing music, I think to myself, DAMN, that is some serious bass and wind up keeping the speakers and not selling them. There is something down there below in the lower 15 hz that the Kappa 9 cannot reach and you can feel it immediately with the first song and know that you have been missing it immediately. It is an incredible experience. So, I wind up not giving a damn if they sell or not, or taking them off the market altogether and setting them up again to take up too much space in my living room until I want my living room back. So yes, there is a LOT to be gained by stretching the bass performance below 34-40 hz. When you get the opportunity, go down where the Lords Of The Low Frequencies reside at 15-30 hz and experience it....there's nothing like it.
Great post, Mitch4t.

I've heard it said that a lot of the information that communicates the size a recording venue comes from the very deepest bass.