How does this make sense, any sense? Any sense at all??

I was just looking at Stereophile's  recommended components, for speakers. 
Within the Class A restricted extreme low frequencies category are:
KEF LS50 at $1500  and
Wilson Sasha at $38,000.
Why would you pay 38 grand when you can get the same category for 1500?  Why I say?

Even worse!!!
In the full range Class B category we have the KEF Ref. 5 at $20,000.
Why would you wanna pay $20,000 for a speaker that is outclassed by the same family (KEF LS50) at a fraction of the price?
How does this make any sense????
Stereophile, seriously.  Let 'er rip homie. 

shtinkydog
Why would you pay 38 grand when you can get the same category for 1500?  
Why would you wanna pay $20,000 for a speaker that is outclassed by the same family (KEF LS50) at a fraction of the price?
Why would you buy an expensive watch costing $50K when you can get one for $10?  
shtinkydog, audio gear in the same class (for Stereophile's ratings purposes) does not imply that these products sound the same or work the same way with your other gear, music, room or ears

In a sense the ratings provide guidance as to how well the manufacturer has achieved their stated goal and objectives for the specific product. I don't think anyone expects that a $1K speaker to compare to a $10K or $50K product. If they do it's more about your emotional connection to the sound of a given speaker than the price tag.

I don't know if I can explain it any better than that.
KEF ls50 + beefy amp to drive them + powered sub can match most anything you would ever put in that same  room. 

But the sub will have to carry more of the bottom end as room size increases. 

So room size is the main determining factor for how big and likely expensive a speaker need be to perform at the highest level full range. 

If Full range not of concern then things are also much easier. 

The stereophile class ratings are only useful to a certain extent. It’s always reasonable to question what you are really getting with products that cost way more than others.
 I don't think anyone expects that a $1K speaker to compare to a $10K or $50K product
If they put a price tag of $50k on the LS50, it would be compared to other speakers in that price range. It would not be compared to $1k speakers. If they put a price tag of $500 on a magico, it would get some good reviews some bad reviews but nobody would dare compare it to a $50k speaker. Its all perception.