Rega P10 v Complete rebuild Garrard 401!

I currently have a Rega P3 that I’m generally happy with, but looking to upgrade and I’m in two minds.  Go old school with Garrard 401 or keep with new tech and get a P10.  Both are well regarded and there are plenty of individual reviews.  However I’ve not been able to find a comparative analysis (not really expecting to) so i thought i would ask here.  It would be paired with a Line Magnetic 508ia tub amp and Harbeth HL5 plus speakers.  
I listen to a wide range of music, from classic jazz, funk, soul and classic rock but admittedly i spend the majority of my vinyl time listening to thinks like Bowie, the Smiths, New Order, A Certain Ratio, Chameleons or similar.  
Any counsel?   
gunners01
ndevamp,

check your idler wheels first for proper operation. In time (~ 60 years) idler wheel develops flat spots which can be removed with sand paper while turning it. Also check pulley it has to be clean and glossy. Remove any residues with solvent. Better to change it into new ones pulley and idler.
Garrard 301/401 as is is capable to reach less than 0,1%. If modded properly I was told it can reach 0,04-0,05% w&f.
@bukanona, my 301 idler is a bit shiny and has small cracks developing so really needs renewing. Also the motor pulley is shiny polished and won’t grip the idler very well. So need to renew both. While I’ve got the RPM app out I should swap the good condition idler from the 401 into the 301 and see if there’s an improvement in w&f. I recall changing the oil in the bearing for a slightly lighter grade a few years back which centered the speed control. Also the motor bearings could do with some attention and the platter main bearing has developed some play. The 401 is tight by comparison. Not bad for the old 301 considering I bought it in 1989 for Aus$90 and all the work it’s done over the decades! Just looked at Classic Hifi Uk who can refurb it with a new paint job too for £500. That’s the beauty of a Garrard, it’s a well-loved classic that is totally restorable.
For what it's worth, I don't think we are talking about "wow and flutter".  I think the issue most harped upon by those who dislike idlers is noise manifest as rumble.  Let's face it, rumble is a potential problem, but proper restoration of the motor and moving parts and advanced methods of plinth design and build can reduce rumble to irrelevant levels, at least for Garrard and Lenco, based on personal experience.  A TD124 presents some more complex questions, because there you have both an idler AND a belt drive.
I talked with chris at Woodsong today.  I can see why everyone is so happy with him.  Knowledgeable, customer-centered and a passionate audiophile.  He clearly knew a great deal more than me, but never came across as condescending.  
I’m leaning the direction of a Garrard 301 with Woodsong doing the rebuild. However, and excuse ignorance in advance, but what does the forum think of the Thorens 1601.  Yep, belt drive, but classic design, and design principles and a price point that is below the rebuilt 301 and way below P10.  Perhaps I’m comparing apples to oranges, but bear in mind I’m on a P3 at the moment.   
I’m pleased with my Vincent PHO701 phono stage, and ideally don’t want to buy a new turntable and then feel compelled to entirely upgrade the rest of my system.  I get that this will forever be a temptation, but I would like this to last a while....at least until the S&P 500 comes back!
this is your “forever turntable”. go with the 301 or 401.  when my woodsong 401 arrived, my first lp was wes montgomery, Smokin’ at the Half Note.  first track, “no blues” had me out of my seat - had never happened before. that’s the idler drive effect, very propulsive. when i finally sat back down, i enjoyed a fine single malt scotch - cao ila i think - and have never looked back.  only thing i’m thinking of changing is upgrading to Koetsu cartridge. oh my....