Rega P10 v Complete rebuild Garrard 401!

I currently have a Rega P3 that I’m generally happy with, but looking to upgrade and I’m in two minds.  Go old school with Garrard 401 or keep with new tech and get a P10.  Both are well regarded and there are plenty of individual reviews.  However I’ve not been able to find a comparative analysis (not really expecting to) so i thought i would ask here.  It would be paired with a Line Magnetic 508ia tub amp and Harbeth HL5 plus speakers.  
I listen to a wide range of music, from classic jazz, funk, soul and classic rock but admittedly i spend the majority of my vinyl time listening to thinks like Bowie, the Smiths, New Order, A Certain Ratio, Chameleons or similar.  
Any counsel?   
gunners01

Showing 18 responses by gunners01

Buying both is out of my financial reach as i wouldn’t want to take the hit of depreciation for the one i sell.  Regardless i appreciate your input.  I’ve read that the 301 has slightly superior sound to the 401 but both are well regarded. 
It would appear that both the Rega P10 and Garrard 401 would be notable steps up from the P3.  I don’t want to hide the fact that i do prefer a “classic” look of the Garrard vs the modern P10. I just don’t want to sacrifice sound quality.  I also want to be mindful of long-term maintenance, accessibility of parts and cost to repair.  
Again thanks and all help welcome. 
thanks.   The 401 is a rebuilt being sold by SkyFi for $9k. I’m trying to keep under that amount.   I’ve looked at Thorens as well.  The older vintage or vintage looking are very appealing to me as just like the look but sound quality is of paramount importance.   

Any thoughts on cartridges? Again, erring to more alt-rock, new wave as opposed to classical or jazz?  Seems Ortofon 2m Black would be good, and I’ve been happy with Ortofon’s I’ve had over the years. 
Thanks Dan.  Yes it is a ton of $, period.  I really would prefer to spend closer to half of that amount.  I will check out your contact as well.  
The one I’m referencing was completely rebuilt in the UK but i believe the plinth ( a beautiful piece that matches my speaker’s wood finish) was made in US. It is way more than i would like to spend but want to have something low maintenance once i have.  
Not familiar with Fern & Roby.  Will investigate. Thx

mdalton i see your rig.  Nice blue!
All who put me onto Woodsong Audio....a big thanks!   If I go the vintage route that is a great lead.  Again many thanks.  

Again, sound quality is of paramount importance, but I would ideally like to have something that feels has a more vintage look to keep with how I will eventually set up my music room.  

I appreciate the comments re: belt drive v. idlers, and I've read several articles about how the idler TTs have been able to significantly reduce the noise associated with the movement, but I don't recall it being expressed that it entirely goes away.   This does slightly concern me as (I failed to mention) I am driving a sub as I feel the Harbeth's just don't give me the deep rich base I was looking for.  Upgrading my amp a few years back significantly helped, but the sub has been god send. 

I've just been so pleased with my P3 but I would really prefer a wood plinth, and overall larger size.   

Thanks for several other leads such as Fern & Roby.  I like the solid iron look, but probably looking for wood.  Thanks for SOTA lead,...I will investigate. 
Thanks mglik.  
My issue is that I don’t have the means to really do a lot of listening sessions with many of the decks.  There is a REGA dealership near me, and I’ve now found a a clear audio dealer.  To my knowledge i have way of “test driving” a Garrard.   Plus in order to really test i would need to plug to my system.  Sorry if I’m being obtuse but not sure how i can really to a reasonable listening comparison  
MDalton.  I’m in the DFW area.  
Uber, et al.  Understand and i may well just pull the trigger.  Need to noodle on this one.   
Mojo....i admit that the SOTA sapphire is very appealing.  I really like the simplicity and classic lines of the design.  Aesthetically it is up there, but not quite the same as the older Thorens and Garrard.   As sacrilegious as that is to say when overall sound quality is the measure I’m seeking.   

I will absolutely look into the SOTA.   I’m also talking to Chris already at Woodsong re: a 401.   
Hi Noromance
new tube on the way to roll PHO.  And thanks for counsel.  Chris mentioned ModWright phono stage. Assume it was 9.0.  
I’m strongly leaning to Garrard.  Best 
I talked with chris at Woodsong today.  I can see why everyone is so happy with him.  Knowledgeable, customer-centered and a passionate audiophile.  He clearly knew a great deal more than me, but never came across as condescending.  
I’m leaning the direction of a Garrard 301 with Woodsong doing the rebuild. However, and excuse ignorance in advance, but what does the forum think of the Thorens 1601.  Yep, belt drive, but classic design, and design principles and a price point that is below the rebuilt 301 and way below P10.  Perhaps I’m comparing apples to oranges, but bear in mind I’m on a P3 at the moment.   
I’m pleased with my Vincent PHO701 phono stage, and ideally don’t want to buy a new turntable and then feel compelled to entirely upgrade the rest of my system.  I get that this will forever be a temptation, but I would like this to last a while....at least until the S&P 500 comes back!
thanks again noromance.   Right now I'm a strong lean to the 401.   I'm trying to closely match the wood veneer of my Harbeth HL5 Plus speakers in "tiger ebony".  As ebony is not cheap, a woodsong ebony plinth is $3800.  gulp.  thinking ortofon AS 309 tone arm and a Hana HL cart.  Trying to source a 401 for 1k, estimated $750 for rebuild, + $3,800 for plinth, Hana EL probably $500 and ortofon AS 309 probably $2500 so all in its estimated to be $8500 ish.   same price as the SkyFi (work done by AudioGrail in UK.
I just went through listings on audio mart and do not see a Garrard 301 or 401.  Lots of Linn LP12 and some good Thorens.  
Thanks.  It’s very tempting.  But by the time i add a tone arm and cart I’m w/in a stones throw if a “new” Woodsong. 
I really appreciate everyone’s help and insights.  Seriously great community.  

Thanks scar972.  Think we are all on lock-down right now.  Plus I’m pretty sure I’m going to go with the 401 and work with Chris.  

I looked at your pictures...wow what a system.  Looks like you have everything set up in your media room.  I’ve been tempted to do the same thing as the family rarely watches movies there anymore, plus I think the acoustics would be much better.  Just a bit cramped with all the other stuff I have in there. 

Curious where did you get your 401? And if you bought one that was not refurbished, where did you have it rebuilt?
best!
@noromance 
yea, that may well be what chris suggested but can’t say for certain.  What I can say is that a) sounds familiar and b) that was about the price point.  
Just read reviews on it and nothing but superlatives.  
Have one?  More superlatives?
Still here and following the thread.  Fairly sure I will do the 301 but will likely pair my Harbeths with a pair of REL S812s first.  
Likely starting a new job in the new year. Once over that hurdle I will reach out to Chris at Woodsong and have him build a 301 for me.  
Since I still seem to have people’s attention, what phono pre-amp do you recommend?   Chris recommended something to me (I can’t recall) and I think he is trying to get a rep deal for them.  I currently have a Vincent Pho-701.  I’ve already rolled the tube (per counsel multiple places including Upscale Audio).   I’m happy with it but Chris at Woodsong swore blindly about the one he recommended.  What say you?