Rega P10 v Complete rebuild Garrard 401!

I currently have a Rega P3 that I’m generally happy with, but looking to upgrade and I’m in two minds.  Go old school with Garrard 401 or keep with new tech and get a P10.  Both are well regarded and there are plenty of individual reviews.  However I’ve not been able to find a comparative analysis (not really expecting to) so i thought i would ask here.  It would be paired with a Line Magnetic 508ia tub amp and Harbeth HL5 plus speakers.  
I listen to a wide range of music, from classic jazz, funk, soul and classic rock but admittedly i spend the majority of my vinyl time listening to thinks like Bowie, the Smiths, New Order, A Certain Ratio, Chameleons or similar.  
Any counsel?   
gunners01
Check out the YouTube titled Gerrard 301 vs Studer Reel to Reel.
An amazing video using the new SME $23k 301. The best sound quality YouTube I have heard from the UK Audio Show!
BTW, If you decide to go for Rega, get a P8. It is 95% of the P10.
I used to be a Rega dealer.
Thanks mglik.  
My issue is that I don’t have the means to really do a lot of listening sessions with many of the decks.  There is a REGA dealership near me, and I’ve now found a a clear audio dealer.  To my knowledge i have way of “test driving” a Garrard.   Plus in order to really test i would need to plug to my system.  Sorry if I’m being obtuse but not sure how i can really to a reasonable listening comparison  
Gunner
As far as listening to a 301/401 I decided to just buy one and if for any reason I did not like I was fairly sure I could resell very easily for little or no loss at all.
Yes its a bit risky especially in todays economic climate but the chance of ever hearing one on a demo or an in home demo are slim to non existent.
Uber makes a good point. A properly restored 301 or 401 purchased at a fair price is very fungible.