So many drivers.....better sound or just more sound?

I am sitting in Seattle cut off from my job by the virus: the world all around me is going nutsy....so naturally my mind drifted to the question....."why so many drivers in some speakers?"  This has bugged me since i first heard the Pipedreams (twenty or so 4 inch drivers all the same in a row.... such a different design principle.  I would think you would want the best driver you could afford for a given application....cover the frequency range as accurately as you can afford and then worry about volume level, air moved etc.  For instance, i heard some McIntosh speakers at a friend's house a few months back.  they had 12 mids and 4 high drivers if i remember.  I guess maybe a bigger sound stage ?  That wan't obvious to me in my listening to them.   Am i missing something obvious?   Legacy speakers use like 11 drivers in a set of speakers.....how can they do that?  I would love to know the cost per driver of various speakers.    Not a deep subject but,  i am addled by rain, boredom and the fear that my 401 k is gone..........
Thanks
sm2727
Lots of cheap tweeters with breakup ( non pistonic motion ) in the passband is not the answer....

This is what we writers call, "innuendo". Vaguely insulting, it says nothing while making equally vague claims, just really a low down waste of time all around. Thanks. Thanks a lot. You have something to say, say it. Don't waste my time with these silly little insults.
Miller have you suddenly cloned that massive ego into “ we “. ?

instead why not make a reasoned argument for breakup in the passband as self appointed advocate of the “reigning champion” ?

What I said was crystal clear to any non science denier - what is difficult to understand about breakup in the pass band ?
But in general a line array has three major virtues ( if you want the seminal engineering text on the subject consult Harry Olson : Elements of Acoustical Engineering )

Controlled dispersion and relatively high output with a low duty cycle. virtues but with significant tradeoff.

For those of us with real tangible ownership experience w line arrays, the magic is good and the downsides significant- often the designer ( really talented engineers like Nudel ( odd he didn’t join the “ we club of writers ‘ ) eventually end up with three line arrays...which dont blend all that well... when it fells - awesome, when they don’t maddening.... where is Infinity today ? And they were built with mostly stellar drivers.

as mentioned  By others, all speakers involve trades and most engineered to a price point - enjoy the music...