How do Dunlavys compared to new stuff?

I attended a Stereophile show in the 90s and the Dunlavy SC-IV was my favorite. I'm considering new speakers (thanks for the help on previous threads) and wondering if in 15 years newer designs have left them behind. How would these compare to similar designs/cost speakers of today?

There are some IIIs for sale, how do they compare to the IV? How much would IVs cost do you think?

Thanks,
Jim
river251
Stanwal: you should read what Mr Dunlavy had to say about high-end cables. It would turn your head around 360.
River,

I have been through the speaker mill over the years myself. From Vandersteen 2Cs to Meadowlark Audio Heron Hot rods, to Apogee Mini Grands, Mirage M3si, Dynaudo Contour IVs, JM Labs Mezzo Utopias and more. I currently have a pair of the DAL SC-IV Improved ( not the Full IVA but almost ) paired with some Final Labs 12" sealed box subs. I am done lusting after speakers. The SC-IV has a natural presentation that I find very revealing and musical at the same time.
Sounds Real's comment makes me wonder if he listens to music or sine waves or if he has ever actually listened to a pair of SC-IVs . "I don't think they are current. They focus on frequency response, extension at both ends and don't really serve the music". I understand everybody is looking for their OWN sound but somehow I get the idea that a speaker that "focuses on frequency response, extension at both ends" would be a good thing. The funny part is the SC-IVs DO NOT focus on extension at least in the bass. I mean, a 6 foot tall sealed box that only goes down to 45hz!! How is that "focused on extension at the extremes"?
Anyhow, I have really taken to the overall presentation of the SC-IVs. Set up is IMPORTANT but then setup of ANY speaker is important. Your room and how it works with the dispersion patterns is what you must learn and how any speaker performs in it is a combination of the hard performance factors of the room and speakers work together as a system. Move them around, move your seating, move your furnishings, move you equipment out of the middle of the speakers ala Jim Smith of Get Better Sound. I have my speakers well into the room and off the side walls. The room dimensions are not symmetrical ( stairway opening and no real rear wall for almost 30 feet ) and the setting up process took me a few weeks of trial and error. Fun trial and error. Learning your own room and your likes are a ton of fun and the SC-IVs make it easy as the bases move well over carpet or hard surfaces.
I have paired the SC-IVs with both tube and SS gear and right now am getting all I want from a 20 year old 100 wpc Ayre V3 amp.
Not to hijack the thread but if anyone has actually read this far I have a question or two.

1. Can 50-60 watts of Balanced Audio Technology VK 55 or VK 60 make the SC-IVS walk and talk?

2. What sort of spikes/cones/points does anyone use for isolation on carpet and a sprung floor?

Back on topic, River251 if you can find a pair of SC-IVs and they are in good shape and not too hard to get ( shipping, WAF etc. ) then by all means go for it. All you have to gain is more experience listening to your room and your music with some new to you speakers. What's not to love?
Meadowman, when I had the Princesses I tried four 1" TipToes (aluminum cones) to couple each to my carpeted, wood-suspension floor. They transfered too much energy, exciting the wood floor. Overall balance was better with the speakers directly on the carpet in my situation.

I'm afraid like so many aspects of set up, you will need to experiment with your own system. And River same for you if you buy DALs or Duntechs.
Why wouldn't other audio companies mimic this design? It sounds like a darn good one.
Kclone, easier said than done. Other companies might not have the technological know how, be willing to hand match components and tune each pair to a reference, deal with the large size and weight. Too many other companies seem to be more concerned with building uniquely voiced speakers, rather than accurate ones. The sad part is that John Dunlavy's health failed him before he could pursue his even more promising designs. It would be nice if someone could purchase the rights to those designs, develop them, and bring them to market.