Whest Phono Stages

Having owned several phono stages starting with a more entry level Clear Audio unit (which I actually think is still very nice) and moving up the rungs of the ladder to other offerings; I started to research something which would perform in all of the aspects of what I want. I entered into a long exchange with a friend of mine who has had or used far more phono preamps than I have and he told me that in his opinion the Whest Titan Pro delivered more to his ears than anything else he’s heard. He did not own this unit, it was far outside of his reach cost-wise ($12K); however a friend of his owned it and allowed him to use it for a period of time. He has used tube and solid stage preamps, so he has experience with multiple formats of presentation.

This opinion started my extensive reading from users of the various Whest phono stages and what I was finding is that most Whest users not only stay with Whest, they usually upgrade into newer and more expensive Whest products. Since there are no audio dealers that I am able to go to in order to audition a Whest as they are sold in the US directly from Whest in London, I decided to simply find a used one and find out how it performs for me in my system. I was open to any of the mid level Whest phono stages as all of them are on the expensive side and I didn’t wish to spend the money required to buy something like the Titan Pro, so I kept an eye on what was showing up on the used market. I also spent a fair amount of time exchanging e mails with James Henriot on the differences between the products and what I would get in performance as I was to move up the line. My take away is that all Whest phono stages share elements of the top of the line products like the Titan Pro or the Reference V dual independent mono stages. The more the cost, the more the refinement and specialty elements such as suspension chassis to isolate the internal electronics from vibrations or more discreet hand matched components. It’s all about how much you are willing to pay to get to a new level to dig out the information cut into the vinyl.

Several months ago I found a very lightly used, almost new Whest Three Signature which is a main phono stage chassis with an external dual mono power supply and I bought it. I was shocked at how heavy the power supply is! This small chassis with the toroid transformer must weigh 5 pounds. The construction of both chassis units is really quite outstanding with a beautiful front panel and dual specially made XLR cables which run from the power supply to the main preamp.

The performance of this mid range phono stage ($4K new) is simply amazing. The details it digs out with tremendous dynamic output; it just puts to shame the other preamps I have used over the past two years. I can see why people who use Whest phono stages rave about them.

So now what do I do? Am I to stay with this Whest Three Signature from here forward and be very content? Or what is next? OK, next...... I just ordered a brand new NOS build Whest 2019 version PS.30 RDT SE using the front end components from the new PS.40 RDT series, Clarity caps, zero floating voltage, full chassis suspension, new heavier toroid dual high voltage/current transformers, full discrete bipolar PS.40 matched input section... .etc, etc. James said this 2019 version is a very different animal than all previous PS.30 RDT SE’s. I will have an opportunity shortly to test this against my fully broken in Whest Three.... can’t wait! With the Three  as good as it is, I am very hopeful that I’ll be in for a super treat. I just hope that I am not going to end up spending to get a Titan Pro by year end.....
128x128slimpikins5
No experience with the PS.40RTD but I'm running the three signature & loving it. Really clean, open, & dynamic. The PS.40RTD must be phenomenal. 
I had the Whest Three Signature for a number of months; it was so good that I moved to making a purchase of the 2019 PS.30 RDT SE which is basically a hybrid.  It has the exterior case of the 30 RDT series and the rear panel, but the internals are more in line with the 40 RDT.  
The 'house sound' of the 30 series is very similar to the Three Signature, in fact you'd almost think it was the same unit when you first play it.  However as you play a lot of familiar music, you start to hear the deep detail it pulls out which was missing with the Three Signature.   If you don't have a highly resolving system, perhaps that would not be something which would be of importance and you'd be pleased with the Three Signature.   But if you do have a resolving system, you will be amazed.  

With all of this being said, I have been told the PS 40 RDT is just another step up the ladder in resolution and it takes things up to another level again.   Ultimately the Titan Pro is up at the top of the heap if you are willing to spend $13K.    I would fully encourage you to go for the 40 RDT, you will not look back.  The only thing close to this type of performance is any of the other Whest phono stages.  

I had used several other very well reviewed phono stages and none of them even came close to the Three Signature, not even close.  With that in mind and knowing how the 40 RDT is two levels up from the Three Signature, you will not be disappointed.
@slimpikns5 and @boxer12   

Appreciate the insight and feedback.  I'm very curious about trying a SS phono pre in my system to compare against my tube Herron VTPH2A.  Different topologies and certainly much different sonic approach.  The bloom and liquidity of the tubes versus the detail and silent noise floor of the SS.  My curiosity wants to compare!
T-E-P,

If you log onto the Whest Audio website and look at the customer testimonials, you will find hundreds of actual user reviews and most will list their system and what they had been using for a phono stage prior to the Whest.  It will give a great insight into what the guys out there found for comparison; you will also notice that no one is looking back at their decision.... that says a lot to me.
I have used three or four other phono stages and hands down, nothing comes close.  Just for information here, I am not a tube fan at this stage of the game.  

I find my Whest to be absolutely black in terms of noise; I mean its pretty much non-existent.  I would have no idea the preamp is even on if it were not for the two LED power on lights (one for each individual channel).   The signal to noise is just amazing.