Whatta Ya Think About Hsu Research Subwoofers?

I’m in the market to add one or possibly two subwoofers to my stereo set-up.  I would like to spend $1,000 or less per unit, and that puts some of the higher-rated units out of reach.  I came across an ad for Hsu, which I had not heard of before.  I didn’t want a Chinese product and it turns out that Hsu Research is based in California and founded by Dr. Hsu, who has a Ph.D from MIT.  Audio reviewer Steve Gutenberg gave one Hsu product a positive review.  I was wondering if any of you have experience with Hsu and could share your impressions/recommendations with me.

My existing set—up is:  Parasound P5 pre-amp with Parasound A21 amp;  Martin Logan 60XT tower loudspeakers.  Thanks!
bob540
scm:  Nothing special about 540.  It was just a number I tagged onto the end of my name to differentiate me from all the other Bob’s on a discussion forum.  Glad you are liking your Hsu’s — they look like nice subwoofers.

If I am considering Bluetooth subs, how about this one from Martin Logan.  12” drivers with Bluetooth capability, and they look similar to other models costing more (which doesn’t mean they sound as good . . Don’t know):

https://www.amazon.com/MartinLogan-Dynamo-12-inch-Wireless-Subwoofer/dp/B002O3W2SO/ref=pd_di_sccai_1...
I made my purchase — a pair of SVS SB 2000’s.  They are the discontinued model that was replaced by the 2000 Pro, and I could still get them for $649 each with free shipping.  The only difference between what I got and the Pro is that the latter has 50 watts more amp power and the ability to control the Pro with your phone or tablet.  I don’t need to control the subs remotely — I can get up to adjust them if needed.  They have 12” drivers that can be positioned to fire down or out.  They don’t have Bluetooth but I will secure the one cable out of the way so it is not a tripping hazard.  The Martin Logan’s I referred to in last entry have Bluetooth but the comments I saw on-line indicated that the SVS sound better.  I still don’t have the ideal listening space, but I might just pull my Martin Logan towers away from the wall to see how much better they can sound.  A little experiment.  Thanks again to everyone who responded and provided good suggestions.
Hello Bob,

You should know that I've never personally heard many of the subs discussed thus far on your thread, including any from HSU, ML, Syzygy and SVS.  I have, however, personally owned and listened to many brands and models of subs from JL, B&W, M&K, Vandersteen, Klipsch, Polk, Audio Kinesis and REL.  For years I experimented with these subs in various quantities and room positions in an attempt to attain the highest quality bass in my system and room, initially with single subs, then dual subs and ultimately my search ended very successfully just over 5 years ago when I tried the Audio Kinesis Debra 4-sub DBA system in my room.       
     I was pleasantly amazed at the immediate and huge improvement in the impact and quality of the bass in my room produced by this 4-sub DBA concept system as well as how seamlessly it integrated with my Magnepan 2.7QR main speakers that only had a rated deep bass extension of 35 Hz.  I've been using this system ever since with outstanding results on both stereo music and on my home theater 5.1 surround sound system.
     I've read statements from various acoustic experts that 3-sub DBA systems are capable of bass performance nearly as good as 4-sub DBAs if each of the 3 subs are properly positioned and configured.  I don't doubt this is true but I've never personally bothered to verify this in my room. But I've read numerous Audiogon posts from members stating that 3 sub DBAs have worked extremely well for them in their rooms. 
     My general advice, based on my experiences, is that 2 subs perform about twice as well as 1 sub and 4 subs perform about twice as well as 2 subs.  Based on what I've read, I really just assume that 3 subs will perform very well but perhaps not quite as reliably as well as 4 subs.
     However, I'm certain that a pair of subs, properly positioned and configured, are more than capable of providing very good bass performance at a single designated listening seat in virtually any room.  The benefits of adding subs beyond 2 in the room will typically be perceived as the bass having increased power, impact, dynamics and a sense of ease quality along with it being faster, smoother, more detailed and this high quality bass will be perceived throughout the entire room, not just at the designated listening seat.
      By now it's obvious that I tend to sacrifice brevity for the sake of detail on my posts, Sorry.  Finally, you asked:
" If I am considering Bluetooth subs, how about this one from Martin Logan.  12” drivers with Bluetooth capability, and they look similar to other models costing more (which doesn’t mean they sound as good . . Don’t know):

https://www.amazon.com/MartinLogan-Dynamo-12-inch-Wireless-Subwoofer/dp/B002O3W2SO/ref=pd_di_sccai_1... "

Since discovering and installing the A K 4-sub DBA system, I'm no longer reading about, researching and listening to the numerous subs available.  I still haven't listen to the Martin Logan 1000W sub but I did research it a bit and read a few very positive reviews.  This sub has a rated bass extension down to 22 Hz, has the necessary separate controls for volume, cutoff frequency and continuously variable phase, has the correct L+R rca inputs to connect to your preamp, has an updated wireless system, costs less than the Syzygy subs and looks cooler.
     What's not like?  I think a pair of these to start seem like an excellent choice for your room, system and circumstances.

Tim
Hi Tim.  The real advantage of the ML subs over what I chose would be the Bluetooth capability.   Same with Syzygy, but even more so, as the Bluetooth transmitter can communicate with up to 8 subwoofers.  That is capability!  But I made my choice on the basis of capabilities and price, and I look forward to listening to them in my system.
Hello Bob,

I actually wrote and posted my last thread post before I even read  your post about your decision to buy a pair of SVS SB-2000 subs.  I believe you wrote your post before me but somehow it was delayed in being posted because I didn't see just read your post on Saturday night.  I don't want to take back or change anything I stated but, given your room, I am a bit surprised you decided to buy wired subs and not choose the more convenient option of wireless subs. 

However, it sounds like you have some ideas and plans about how to run and conceal the wires you'll need to run from your preamp to a currently unknown exact location for the second SVS SB-2000 sub that needs to be located along one of the 3 remaining walls in your room ( a wall other than the front short wall where your tv, equipment rack and main speakers are currently located, as well as the wall the first SVS SB-2000 sub will be located.). 
     Can you state your plans about how you plan to connect both SVS subs, using line-level rca cables from your preamp or using high-level speaker wire connections to your amp? 
    And about how you plan to run the wires past the the 2 doors in the right front corner of your room?

Thanks, 
  Tim