Whatta Ya Think About Hsu Research Subwoofers?

I’m in the market to add one or possibly two subwoofers to my stereo set-up.  I would like to spend $1,000 or less per unit, and that puts some of the higher-rated units out of reach.  I came across an ad for Hsu, which I had not heard of before.  I didn’t want a Chinese product and it turns out that Hsu Research is based in California and founded by Dr. Hsu, who has a Ph.D from MIT.  Audio reviewer Steve Gutenberg gave one Hsu product a positive review.  I was wondering if any of you have experience with Hsu and could share your impressions/recommendations with me.

My existing set—up is:  Parasound P5 pre-amp with Parasound A21 amp;  Martin Logan 60XT tower loudspeakers.  Thanks!
bob540
bob540  I bought 2 HSU ULS 15`s a couple weeks ago, still breaking in and they sound very VERY nice.
Curious...is '540' a BBC reference ? :)
Hello Bob,

This is a direct quote from you on your post from 2/24/20: " There is space to the left, as I can move the tower that holds my CDs and the record albums. I wish I had Bluetooth capability for the subwoofers, as I could place one further to the right out of the line of foot traffic, and then I have space for one on the left. I could cover the cable with a small throw rug I suppose.
     Bob, the Syzygy subs are exactly what you wished for; Bluetooth capable subs that are wireless and let you use an IOS or Android smart phone as a remote. You can place one to the left of your rack and the other anywhere in your room without running any wires. No throw rug to cover the cables is needed since there are no wires or cables connecting the subs except a power cord for each to the nearest a/c outlet..
     They’re made in the U.S.and there are 2 versions which have either 10 or 12" drivers:
The Syzygy SLF850 utilize 10" drivers, have a rated bass extension down to 24 Hz and are priced at $799 +$60 shipping=$860 each on Amazon.
The Syxygy SLF870 utilize 12" drivers, have a rated deep bass extension down to 20 Hz and are priced at $999 +$50 shipping=$1,050 each on Amazon.
Here’s a link to both on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Syzygy-Acoustics-SLF-870-Subwoofer/dp/B01KBTWAL6?th=1

I     f you’re serious about your wish for Bluetooth capable subs and attaining very good bass performance in your system, I suggest you begin with a pair of 12" SLF870 subs, which will provide very good bass at your designated listening seat down to 20 Hz.
     Then in the future when you’re ready, you could add a third 10" SLF850 sub, which will provide even higher quality bass quality not only at your designated listening seat down to 20 Hz but throughout your entire room. Even though only 2 of the 3 subs are reproducing deep bass down to 20 Hz and 1 sub just to 24 Hz, the overall bass will sound like it extends to 20 Hz in the room.
     This results because adding the third sub creates the necessary minimal number of subs in any given room to qualify as a distributed bass array (DBA) system. The 3-4 sub DBA system concept has been scientifically proven to modify the bass sound wave behavior in any given room in a specific manner that creates a bass sound wave environment that our brains process and perceive as the overall bass being fast, smooth, extended, powerful, dynamic, detailed, natural and seamlessly integrated with the main speakers.
     I realize this all likely sounds a bit confusing to you. In general, the 2 sub solution works well at a single designated listening position while the 3-4 sub DBA concept solution works significantly better, as in about twice as well, throughout the entire room and like a charm. An Audio Kinesis Debra 4-sub DBA system has been providing near state of the art bass performance, for both music and HT in my room and system, for over 5 years now and I see no reason it wouldn’t do the same for music in your room and system with a custom 3-sub DBA system provided the subs are properly positioned and configured (configured meaning the volume, crossover frequency and phase controls are all properly set on each sub, which I can assist you with).
     However, I think you need to decide whether you want to utilize and run line level cables to traditional self-amplified subs like the HSU or utilize the newer technology Bluetooth wireless subs like the Syzygy.
     There’s also a third option available, which is to buy a Dayton SA1000 1K watt class AB sub amp/control unit for $300-400 from Parts Express (which the AK Swarm and Debra 4-sub DBA kit systems utilize) and use 2-4 less expensive good quality new or used passive subs connected via speaker wires. You’d also be able to progress with this amp from using 2 passive subs in your room to using 3 or even 4 subs. The main downside is running and concealing the speaker wires to them.
    All 3 solutions will produce equally very good results with a pair of subs and will produce near state of the art bass results with 3-4 subs. I’m willing to assist you with any option you choose.
     It seems like the wireless Syzygy subs may be a bit more expensive, mainly due to the shipping charges, but they’re also a lot more convenient, especially in your room. Are you willing and able to run speaker wire or line level rca cables to other areas of your room to save some dough? Or, do you prefer convenience? Let me know.

Tim
scm:  Nothing special about 540.  It was just a number I tagged onto the end of my name to differentiate me from all the other Bob’s on a discussion forum.  Glad you are liking your Hsu’s — they look like nice subwoofers.

If I am considering Bluetooth subs, how about this one from Martin Logan.  12” drivers with Bluetooth capability, and they look similar to other models costing more (which doesn’t mean they sound as good . . Don’t know):

https://www.amazon.com/MartinLogan-Dynamo-12-inch-Wireless-Subwoofer/dp/B002O3W2SO/ref=pd_di_sccai_1...
I made my purchase — a pair of SVS SB 2000’s.  They are the discontinued model that was replaced by the 2000 Pro, and I could still get them for $649 each with free shipping.  The only difference between what I got and the Pro is that the latter has 50 watts more amp power and the ability to control the Pro with your phone or tablet.  I don’t need to control the subs remotely — I can get up to adjust them if needed.  They have 12” drivers that can be positioned to fire down or out.  They don’t have Bluetooth but I will secure the one cable out of the way so it is not a tripping hazard.  The Martin Logan’s I referred to in last entry have Bluetooth but the comments I saw on-line indicated that the SVS sound better.  I still don’t have the ideal listening space, but I might just pull my Martin Logan towers away from the wall to see how much better they can sound.  A little experiment.  Thanks again to everyone who responded and provided good suggestions.
Hello Bob,

You should know that I've never personally heard many of the subs discussed thus far on your thread, including any from HSU, ML, Syzygy and SVS.  I have, however, personally owned and listened to many brands and models of subs from JL, B&W, M&K, Vandersteen, Klipsch, Polk, Audio Kinesis and REL.  For years I experimented with these subs in various quantities and room positions in an attempt to attain the highest quality bass in my system and room, initially with single subs, then dual subs and ultimately my search ended very successfully just over 5 years ago when I tried the Audio Kinesis Debra 4-sub DBA system in my room.       
     I was pleasantly amazed at the immediate and huge improvement in the impact and quality of the bass in my room produced by this 4-sub DBA concept system as well as how seamlessly it integrated with my Magnepan 2.7QR main speakers that only had a rated deep bass extension of 35 Hz.  I've been using this system ever since with outstanding results on both stereo music and on my home theater 5.1 surround sound system.
     I've read statements from various acoustic experts that 3-sub DBA systems are capable of bass performance nearly as good as 4-sub DBAs if each of the 3 subs are properly positioned and configured.  I don't doubt this is true but I've never personally bothered to verify this in my room. But I've read numerous Audiogon posts from members stating that 3 sub DBAs have worked extremely well for them in their rooms. 
     My general advice, based on my experiences, is that 2 subs perform about twice as well as 1 sub and 4 subs perform about twice as well as 2 subs.  Based on what I've read, I really just assume that 3 subs will perform very well but perhaps not quite as reliably as well as 4 subs.
     However, I'm certain that a pair of subs, properly positioned and configured, are more than capable of providing very good bass performance at a single designated listening seat in virtually any room.  The benefits of adding subs beyond 2 in the room will typically be perceived as the bass having increased power, impact, dynamics and a sense of ease quality along with it being faster, smoother, more detailed and this high quality bass will be perceived throughout the entire room, not just at the designated listening seat.
      By now it's obvious that I tend to sacrifice brevity for the sake of detail on my posts, Sorry.  Finally, you asked:
" If I am considering Bluetooth subs, how about this one from Martin Logan.  12” drivers with Bluetooth capability, and they look similar to other models costing more (which doesn’t mean they sound as good . . Don’t know):

https://www.amazon.com/MartinLogan-Dynamo-12-inch-Wireless-Subwoofer/dp/B002O3W2SO/ref=pd_di_sccai_1... "

Since discovering and installing the A K 4-sub DBA system, I'm no longer reading about, researching and listening to the numerous subs available.  I still haven't listen to the Martin Logan 1000W sub but I did research it a bit and read a few very positive reviews.  This sub has a rated bass extension down to 22 Hz, has the necessary separate controls for volume, cutoff frequency and continuously variable phase, has the correct L+R rca inputs to connect to your preamp, has an updated wireless system, costs less than the Syzygy subs and looks cooler.
     What's not like?  I think a pair of these to start seem like an excellent choice for your room, system and circumstances.

Tim