Whatta Ya Think About Hsu Research Subwoofers?

I’m in the market to add one or possibly two subwoofers to my stereo set-up.  I would like to spend $1,000 or less per unit, and that puts some of the higher-rated units out of reach.  I came across an ad for Hsu, which I had not heard of before.  I didn’t want a Chinese product and it turns out that Hsu Research is based in California and founded by Dr. Hsu, who has a Ph.D from MIT.  Audio reviewer Steve Gutenberg gave one Hsu product a positive review.  I was wondering if any of you have experience with Hsu and could share your impressions/recommendations with me.

My existing set—up is:  Parasound P5 pre-amp with Parasound A21 amp;  Martin Logan 60XT tower loudspeakers.  Thanks!
bob540

Showing 17 responses by bob540

Hi Tim. The layout of my room is a bit different than you are thinking.  The other short wall is the one with the windows — my sectional is beneath those windows and then around the corner and takes up the wall that is to the left of my stereo (when facing the stereo.  The other long wall, to the right of the stereo (where you see the two doors) is taken up by the fireplace.  So, the only walls I could mount the TV on are where it is or on the long wall where the sectional is — but that latter placement would have my seating backed up to the fireplace.  I put my TV on the only wall that made sense to me, and then I put my stereo equipment where the TV is (and can play TV sound through the stereo equipment.  

While trying to decide how many subs I will get, I will also look into some of the other sub brands others mentioned here . . JL Audio, Rythmik, Rel, Audio Kenisis?   Never hurts to explore options.  
I have been checking out some of the other recommended subs, and SVS and Hsu seem to offer the most bang for the buck (being a bang-for-buck guy myself).  The 12” SVS do have a discount for buying two, but the wood grain ones just do not appeal to me, and the gloss piano black cabinets costs $100 more each.  I can get the Hsu with 15” drivers for a good price — I just need to decide if it’s worth paying $300 more for the pair with rosewood finish to match my towers.  Thanks to everyone that responded to my question.
@slaw,
You are absolutely correct — my space, side to side, is the limiting factor.  But this room is what I have to work with.  I mentioned above that my living room is larger and it would be easier to arrange my equipment there.  But, that room is more visible to anyone coming to my door and I don’t want just anyone to see what I have, for security reasons (plus, while I am currently single, we all know how women react to having a bunch of electronics and speakers in the main visiting space — not well).  My current listening room is more private and gives me the option of a fire in the fireplace while I enjoy music, and I like that a lot.  

The wooden table is one I built when I was 17, almost 50 years ago. That was back when hardwoods were not as expensive as they are now.  It is solid oak, mostly 1.25 inches thick, and I think cost me less than $100 back in 1972.  With all the nicks and blemishes that accumulated over the years, I still love and enjoy it.  You might notice that I added a couple more levels above the table itself, making boxes and a plank that bridges the two boxes in the center.  Yes, it looks cluttered, but it allows me to have all the equipment I might use (and some I seldom do) together and easy to use (except when plugging and unplugging equipment, which can be a hassle).  It all fits under the TV and I don’t think the height creates the problem with placing the subwoofers so much as lacking space on each side does (though I can see that if I had a narrower table, there would be more side space . . that is true. But I don’t plan on replacing my old oak table).  

I have room on the one side (away from the doors) where I can place one subwoofer.  I mostly need to figure out where to put the subwoofer on the right (and, ideally, I would bring the towers out from the wall 2-3 feet — but not sure how I could do that without blocking access to the doors).  It’s a dilemma.
Wolf_garcia!  Of course you’re correct.  How could I be so blind to the perils of “mixing” in this woke age?   I’m blessed that you spoke up while there is still time to avert catastrophe!  I am in your debt Sir!  😝
I know what passive loudspeakers are, but I wasn’t sure if the Parasound could power both the ML towers and subwoofers.  From reading responses, I now know the answer is No, I would need a separate amp to power passive subs. I’m thinking I will go with new powered Hsu subwoofers, the ULS 15’s, which I can get in gloss piano black for $779 + $80 shipping each.  So $1718 for two (plus tax that will likely be added).  This is comparable to the SVS SP2000 Pro subs in gloss piano black that cost $1699.00 for the pair with shipping free.  The SVS have 12” drivers while the Hsu have 15” drivers, which sounds like more bang for the buck with Hsu.  The Hsu subs that wspohn recommended are somewhat more expensive and are ported designs, which are said to be better for home theater (not my interest) but less desirable for music (bingo!). Just thinking out loud here and I am always open to other opinions.  I thank bdp24 for his ideas as well.  I try not to agonize over every decision, but also try to avoid buyer’s regret.
bdp24,
I’m not familiar with those subs.  I looked them up and they appear to be from early 1990’s?  I have thus far only looked at powered subs — what are the difference issues involved in using powered vs. passive subwoofers?  

Also, one old forum I visited had a commenter (might have been Dr. Hsu himself!) who said the cost of replacing the subwoofers in old units might be close to the cost of new subwoofers. I would need more info. before deciding if I am interested in your HRSW 10’s.
I see they are cylinders.  So all the music is from down-firing speaker rather than from the sides?  Or does sound emanate from the sides and bottom.  I suppose I would need to get a separate amplifier to power them . . . or could my Parasound amp power them?   
Thank you guys again for your suggestions — I am going to look again at Syzygy and at GR Research/Rythmik.  Funny how I didn’t agonize before buying the Martin Logan’s, but now I wonder if I should have bought KEF LS50’s and paired them with subwoofers — would have saved space and all I read is raves about the LS50’s sound.  You could seriously drive yourself crazy with this stuff, huh? 🤪
Tim, I am usually the sort of person who can window shop, see nice things and pass them by without stressing over not buying them.  But occasionally I get on a bent when I see something and think, “Someone else has this and is enjoying it, while I am stuck with . . . this.”  There is a audiophile-type stereo and home theater store not far from me, and I have thought, “Why don’t you just go and hear this equipment for yourself instead of reading about it or asking for others’ opinions?”  But then I fear that I will go there and hear or see things that are so excellent, but beyond my budget to afford, and then I return home and am thereafter dissatisfied with what I have.  I don’t feel that way when I see a fancy sports card or a palatial home, but I could see myself longing for an exquisite sound system. I could see myself obtaining some new music and enjoying it on my system, but then thinking, “I wonder what I am not hearing that would be revealed by that expensive gear I sampled the other day?” It can be a feeling of pleasure-denied.  
scm:  Nothing special about 540.  It was just a number I tagged onto the end of my name to differentiate me from all the other Bob’s on a discussion forum.  Glad you are liking your Hsu’s — they look like nice subwoofers.

If I am considering Bluetooth subs, how about this one from Martin Logan.  12” drivers with Bluetooth capability, and they look similar to other models costing more (which doesn’t mean they sound as good . . Don’t know):

https://www.amazon.com/MartinLogan-Dynamo-12-inch-Wireless-Subwoofer/dp/B002O3W2SO/ref=pd_di_sccai_1...
I made my purchase — a pair of SVS SB 2000’s.  They are the discontinued model that was replaced by the 2000 Pro, and I could still get them for $649 each with free shipping.  The only difference between what I got and the Pro is that the latter has 50 watts more amp power and the ability to control the Pro with your phone or tablet.  I don’t need to control the subs remotely — I can get up to adjust them if needed.  They have 12” drivers that can be positioned to fire down or out.  They don’t have Bluetooth but I will secure the one cable out of the way so it is not a tripping hazard.  The Martin Logan’s I referred to in last entry have Bluetooth but the comments I saw on-line indicated that the SVS sound better.  I still don’t have the ideal listening space, but I might just pull my Martin Logan towers away from the wall to see how much better they can sound.  A little experiment.  Thanks again to everyone who responded and provided good suggestions.
Hi Tim.  The real advantage of the ML subs over what I chose would be the Bluetooth capability.   Same with Syzygy, but even more so, as the Bluetooth transmitter can communicate with up to 8 subwoofers.  That is capability!  But I made my choice on the basis of capabilities and price, and I look forward to listening to them in my system.
Sure.  I plan to put the subwoofer to the right on a ledge that is part of the fireplace, just to the right of the second door.  I will run the cable for that beneath the first door, where the carpet ends and vinyl flooring begins.  I will tape it down so that it isn’t a tripping hazard. I will run the cable around the corner and then tape it to the inner part of the threshold for the garage door, then up to the short ledge where the sub will sit.  I have to avoid stepping on the cable going through the doors, but that shouldn’t be a problem as the floor surface is uneven at both of those spots anyway.  I could look at covering the cable with some sort of protective strip, like you see at concerts where cables must be run through traffic areas.
Tim, I saw that you mentioned the “crawl method” for determining best position for subs. Does that involve moving the subs a little at a time and listening to the sound each time?  i.e., being on my knees crawling about with them til I find the sweet spots?

Good advice regarding the RCA cables.  Oddly, I have the subs coming but don’t have the cables ordered yet.  
Thank you to all who have responded to my question — I’m a beginner at this and trying to learn (I sure don’t mind the study!), and I want to benefit from the experiences and informed opinions of the members here.

It looks like the consensus here is that a pair of subs (if not more) gives better results than a single sub.  Also, that I would be happy with the Hsu’s.  The model I am looking at is this one:

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/uls-15mk2.html

I prefer the looks of the rosewood (would go with my Martin Logan’s) but for the price difference I could be satisfied with black.  The biggest challenge for me is space.  My listening room is 14x19 and a short ceiling (less than 8’), with my equipment along the shorter wall.  The foot traffic passes right in front of my set-up to the garage and a laundry room, so space is pretty tight.  My Martin Logan’s are ported and said to sound better away from the wall, but this would put them in the path of people walking through.  Adding two subs to the mix — I’d have to figure out how to do that and not have them blocking the path.  I have a large fireplace that takes up most of one wall, large windows taking another (and heating vents below them that I want to keep my equipment away from) and an overśized sectional that dominates the other wall.  So, gotta work within prescribed limits.  I could post a pic of what it looks like, if you could offer suggestions?  
Nicely dismissive, Tim!  Lol

I just posted a grainy photo in my profile showing the space I am working with.  Sorry it is so dark and fuzzy.  The doors to the right are to my garage and laundry room, so cannot block those.  The table that holds my electronics is centered under the TV — Martin Logan towers are to each side of that, but hard to make out.  There is space to the left, as I can move the tower that holds my CDs and the record albums.  I wish I had Bluetooth capability for the subwoofers, as I could place one further to the right out of the line of foot traffic, and then I have space for one on the left.  I could cover the cable with a small throw rug I suppose.