I'm interested in hearing what "the best" systems sound like, where to go?

I have my system sounding pretty good now with a wide sound stage and good depth and imaging. I hear faint details that I have never heard in songs before. It took me three amps, two CD players, two sets of speakers and room treatments to get where I am. But the rabbit hole being what it is....I can't help but wonder....do I have the best it can be? I've been to brick and mortar, high end audio stores, but they don't really have listening rooms. Do any of you know of a place that has a good selection in stock that also has a good listening room to try them out? I would like to hear what is considered "the best". I would like a yard stick to use to determine if I'm getting everything out of the recordings that I can get. Even if it is thousands of dollars outside of my budget, I would like to know what I'm chasing.
128x128baclagg
Steakster, I would love to have had the opportunity to sit with a reviewer and experience the process he used for critical listening. I'm sure you learned a lot!
I'm interested in hearing what "the best" systems sound like, where to go?

"The Best" does not exist objectively, unfortunately.  However, go listen to any system in which the owner claims it is among the best, and let them explain why he/she thinks it is  --- The process will help you to assemble a system that fits your budget and gives you the most satisifaction.

@gaclagg ...

• I have my system sounding pretty good now with a wide sound stage and good depth and imaging. I hear faint details that I have never heard in songs before.

Consider getting off of the equipment merry-go-round and start reading the multitudes of threads here on A'gon that deal with tweaking. Pay particular attention to the threads that deal with micro-vibrations, micro-arcing, and room treatments. There's tons of extra music, and vast improvements in SQ, that can be wrung out of your system without spending money on more/different electronics.

And I agree with the poster above who said that audio shows are not the most ideal places to judge audio equipment.

Frank

Assuming its not cancelled you should hit the Axpona show in Chicago next month 4/17-19.
Showroom must be very bad in general, except some very well designed...

I will reiterate my rant: most people dont know that one of the best audio system in their city is the audio system they already own...Suffice to controls the 4 embeddings of most audio system that are good to transform TOTALLY your listening experience...

One of the best audio system there is relatively to the ratio quality /price is mine already, because of the controls methods I create for the 4 embeddings... But it seems that no one pay attention except for buying ready made costly solutions in every thread....

The ultimate test is when EACH AND EVERY ONE of your music files sound terrific even the less good one, and you cannot stop listen ANY files picked by chance without interruption and without been bored for the coming hour because it is too much beautiful...

my advice: dont buy anything, think and read, and think, ideas and understanding will come....

My best...

"People dont buy simple solution, they are too simple to be believed" -Groucho Marx