Higher End DACs

I am looking for a DAC (potentially streamer&DAC) to be paired in a mcintosh system (c1100/611). Its my first foray into digital streaming and I have no need for a CD player.

I see a lot of love for Esoteric, however, most seems to be around their transports? Are they not as renowned for pure digital streaming and/or standalone DACs? I see DCS (for instance) often referenced for standalone DACs - how does Esoteric compare?
ufguy73
@mikelavigne
Mike - how can local vs streamed files sound better? How can you sense ’edgyness’ from one vs the other if the bitstream is the same. The MSB Select II supports a bit-perfect test file. Play the test file from SGM Extreme or ’pick any server’ using local or streamed and it will be reported by the MSB as being ’bitperfect’. So the innards of the MSB get all the bits 100%. So its not data corruption; its not jitter ...but the sound is different? Follow the evidence, Mike, it’s all about analog noise. Each server throws off a field of RF energy that gets into the DAC. Via signal, via power or through the air. This is the core issue here.

Audiophiles have to start behaving like Ham Radio operators who know and understand its all about RF noise mitigation that allows them to pick up the voice from distant Australia. You can apply common sense about the physics and technology involved ..and save a ton of money.

Mike - how can local vs streamed files sound better? How can you sense ’edgyness’ from one vs the other if the bitstream is the same. The MSB Select II supports a bit-perfect test file. Play the test file from SGM Extreme or ’pick any server’ using local or streamed and it will be reported by the MSB as being ’bitperfect’. So the innards of the MSB get all the bits 100%. So its not data corruption; its not jitter ...but the sound is different? Follow the evidence, Mike, it’s all about analog noise. Each server throws off a field of RF energy that gets into the DAC. Via signal, via power or through the air. This is the core issue here.

@dmance

did you read the review that was linked? and also read my comments? my comments referred to that review. they use a totaldac, not an MSB dac.

i made no mention of hearing any edginess from my Extreme/MSB setup.

and if you read that review it explains why local files sound better than streaming files. I’m no techie; I’m just a listener who reports what I hear. and that is what I hear. I don’t get caught up in technical rationalizations contradicting my perceptions.

btw; Emile Bok, the Extreme designer also agrees that local files sound better than streaming. you could contact him and make your case. he is a techie.

and when he visited me last fall we both heard these same things from the Extreme/MSB combination.
@dmance Would a fibre optic cable from the network switch into the DAC solve the analog noise into the DAC? If so that is a relatively cheap solution. For example Sonore SystemOptique or the more expensive Lumin X1 DAC ( $13K ) with fibre optic input. Both have ROON READY support.
Even at the top echelon ( which is ever moving ) a well sorted network and electrical power system in home is essential. ... many things can be done at low/no cost. Which leg of your panel is the audio system on ? What leg are the “ hash and trash “ generation bits on ?

Consider a DAC with the ugly bits in a Faraday cage... to wit Aesthetix 

the Brinkmann as another poster noted above is also superb