Ok guys

My question is this, nothing major, more of a curiosity. When playing an album does it make a difference if you leave the dust cover up or down? Probably stupid  question but hey there are lots of opinions out there
128x128wownflutter
And you know what? I am man enough to admit Mike you are absolutely correct. I use the zerostat and so I know- it at best neutralizes charges while you're squeezing the handle. And I do mean "at best". There's times I've had a speck of dust on there and been using the z-stat and blowing and even with the z-stat streaming ions the darn thing is still stuck right to the vinyl. So yes of course smaller stuff you can't see is being pulled right into the groove. 

Your fO.q tape tweak recommendation was spot-on too. 

There are definitely words to describe you Mijo but decency and forum rules prevent me from going there.
Have a blessed day.

Oh and his evil twin rushes to join in.
We are doubly blessed......
You know what I have really had it with you pair of clowns and your arrogant posturing here there and everywhere trying to insinuate that only you know anything and everyone else is sad and pathetic.

Sure I clown around but no freaking way would I be caught spouting off trying to insist that my opinions were the only ones that were correct.

You pair have made these forums extremely depressing and as such I'm done.
Good job boys.....

1- It is well known (and undisputed) that a stylus traversing an LP groove causes friction. That it causes a static charge is an assertion I had never before heard.

2- As soon as it became available, I started using a Zerostat in an attempt to neutralize the static charge created on the LP I had just cleaned with a Discwasher (this was in the 1970’s). I found the Zerostat to be somewhat "fiddly" to use (that pistol had to be squeezed VERY slowly, lest it would just "click"), so was very happy when the far superior Nagaoka Kilavolt No. 103 was introduced. I still own and use it, a great product. Discontinued long ago, I don’t know where one could be found.

3- The problem of creating a static charge on an LP during cleaning was just about eliminated when I got my first vacuum record cleaning machine, a Nitty Gritty. It’s even less of a problem with my VPI HW-17F, as it takes but two revolutions to completely dry the LP, leaving a clean yet static-free disc.

4- I have NEVER removed an LP---it having been vacuum cleaned just prior to playing---from my turntable and seen or felt any evidence of a static charge created by the playing of the LP. Sounds like "fake news" to me ;-) .

Wow.. ok guys, from the sound of so many EXPERT opinions, do you think I should remove the top cover of my SACD and any/all my bluray players? From a few opinions, it sounds like if I let all my redbook CDs lie out in the open they should sound more open.  Maybe that would work just as well with all my cassette tapes! And going one step further, I bet all my recorded VHS tapes should be stored in direct sunlight! I would hate to know what would happen to them all if they were to stay under optimum operational temperature for more than a few minutes, let alone for more than a decade..