What amp are you using with your Zu Essences?

Just a scored a pair of these and I was just wondering what people were pairing up with them. I've heard they work best with tubes. Has anyone tried solid state or Class D and then moved to tubes? How many or how few watts have worked for you? Thanks in advance for any stories.
tbadder
The wealth of knowledge and experience in Phils posts never ceases to amaze me. The man knows his stuff, especially pertaining to driving Zu speakers.

I spoke with him at length about amplification choices for my Superflys and, though I resisted at first, looking for a lower voltage/less intimidating option than 845 set for a home with an infant, his enthusiasm for the set was always present and when the opportunity to try one in my price range came about, I bit and it has been one of my best moves in this hobby.

I have about 26 hours on a pair of the Psvane (Pavanes) he mentions above. Had an 845b crap out prematurely and used the opportunity/excuse to give it a whirl. It needs more time to settle, but I'm starting to see a lot of potential here.
Thanks a Million Fred and Phil! I certainly look forward to getting the 845's in place, though honestly I am absolutely loving the Modwright Pre with a Pass Labs XA 30.5. Awesome dynamics, bass, transparent....loving it:-)

I do appreciate the feedback immensely on the 845's and I will await Fred's feedback on the Pavanes. I think the three of us have a similar tastes, and I absolutely agree that what one man loves, the one next to him may hate!

Cheers,
Morgan
Truth be told, its pretty hard, IMO to make Zus sound bad... I've only had one amplifier combo I actually 'hated' Ironically it was one that Zu actually had on their recommendation list (my dad had a Panasonic XR-25 gathering dust--figured I'd give it a shot).

I'm no stranger to Pass designs driving Zus and they can be pretty darn good--I liked the Alephs in particular over the Firstwatts. The Alephs were recently de-throned by a Redgum RGi120 as my favorite solid state option for my Superflys.
VERY musical combination.
Been reading, and have a pair of Omen Def's on the way, and
wonder why no mention of Peachtree as a recommended amp for Zu's as they were what was used at the shows mainly??
The Peachtree is a fine choice and you will likely be happy with it. The truth is, the Omen Defs and the Superflys are so transparent that every amplifier change will produce dramatic changes, all of which are of course just a matter of taste and personal preference I have heard the Omen Defs with many amps and a very good solid state integrated is the Virtue amps with the tube buffer (also recommended by Zu). There are many good options, and what I have found is it is just best to try several amps to get a different taste so to speak so that you can determine what you like best.