What amp are you using with your Zu Essences?

Just a scored a pair of these and I was just wondering what people were pairing up with them. I've heard they work best with tubes. Has anyone tried solid state or Class D and then moved to tubes? How many or how few watts have worked for you? Thanks in advance for any stories.
tbadder
The Quad's sound amazing on a pair of Superfly's that I recently got a chance to audition. I really loved the combination. I have a pair of Omen Defs and I used to have the Essence.....I did not get a chance to hear any of those with the Essence, and the Essence is so different than all other Zu products. BTW I have a Carissa coming this week, so I can let you know about the combination.

Phil do you have a favorite 845 Tube for the Carissa? It is coming with the KR 845 (that's what I remember anyway).

I would also recommend that if you have not heard the other speakers in the line-up, do yourself a favor and go check them out. If you are near SF I would be happy to have you over.
>>Phil do you have a favorite 845 Tube for the Carissa? It is coming with the KR 845<<

The KR 845 is built and sounds different than a vintage RCA or Amperex 845, or the Shuguang tubes patterned after them. Earlier in the KR's production there were some serious reliability problems deriving from the KR's ribbon filament. Like all KR tubes, that example is otherwise beautifully constructed. The ribbon filament problems were a design and execution issue. I don't know whether the high incidence of problems with that tube have been resolved more recently. However, that tube has a robust, transparent sound that in some systems can be icy but always very clean toned.

Once you get into tube rolling, preferences get very personal and it surprises me to hear the wide range of variances in how two people who have generally the same sense of audio fidelity can land on the question of which 845 power tube to use. For the tonally sophisticated 845 amps, in which I'd include the Carissa, I generally prefer the Shuguang 845B graphite plate tube among current available production. It has authoritative shove, deep bass with very good definition, beautiful midrange and the top end has very fine transient body but never sounds strident. The metal plate 845C has an initially exciting spray of focused detail. In a high end 845 with wideband output transformers and a fast circuit, that tube will sound strident. But on a vintage-voiced 845 SET like the Japanese Triode 845 or some of the inexpensive Chinese 845s, it can wake up the amp and give it speed and detail that its warm voicing otherwise obscures.

Similarly, you wouldn't want the 845C in a system with Essence and it's cold ribbon super tweeter, but it can be just the thing with, say, a pre-v4-08 Druid. So KR 845 may be too strident on Essence depending on the rest of your gear and how reinforcing of treble your room is. It's a borderline call. On Superfly more of a matter of taste. I think with both speakers the affordable and widely available 845B is the best choice. Also true with Definition. I haven't yet taken the time to find out whether the Shuguang Psvane 845 is worth its price relative to the 845B. I'll also add that the graphite plate 845B has proven both reliable and long lasting in my Audion Black Shadow monoblocks.

Phil
The wealth of knowledge and experience in Phils posts never ceases to amaze me. The man knows his stuff, especially pertaining to driving Zu speakers.

I spoke with him at length about amplification choices for my Superflys and, though I resisted at first, looking for a lower voltage/less intimidating option than 845 set for a home with an infant, his enthusiasm for the set was always present and when the opportunity to try one in my price range came about, I bit and it has been one of my best moves in this hobby.

I have about 26 hours on a pair of the Psvane (Pavanes) he mentions above. Had an 845b crap out prematurely and used the opportunity/excuse to give it a whirl. It needs more time to settle, but I'm starting to see a lot of potential here.
Thanks a Million Fred and Phil! I certainly look forward to getting the 845's in place, though honestly I am absolutely loving the Modwright Pre with a Pass Labs XA 30.5. Awesome dynamics, bass, transparent....loving it:-)

I do appreciate the feedback immensely on the 845's and I will await Fred's feedback on the Pavanes. I think the three of us have a similar tastes, and I absolutely agree that what one man loves, the one next to him may hate!

Cheers,
Morgan
Truth be told, its pretty hard, IMO to make Zus sound bad... I've only had one amplifier combo I actually 'hated' Ironically it was one that Zu actually had on their recommendation list (my dad had a Panasonic XR-25 gathering dust--figured I'd give it a shot).

I'm no stranger to Pass designs driving Zus and they can be pretty darn good--I liked the Alephs in particular over the Firstwatts. The Alephs were recently de-throned by a Redgum RGi120 as my favorite solid state option for my Superflys.
VERY musical combination.