Do You Remember Your First CD Player?

I had owned the first of the first. I purchased the unit in 1982. It was a Sony CDP 101. It was the most obnoxious, raspy, annoying, piercing, grading, non-musical component I had ever heard.

Also, at the time, the complete CD library that was available consisted of about 15 CDs.

Now? I listen to my newest CD rig more than I listen to my turntable. My, how times have changed.

What was your first CD player and when did you purchase it?
128x128buscis2
Mine was an Adcom GCD-575 that I paid $650! for in about 1989. It was head and shoulders above the cheaper drives I listened to, and served me well for over 15 years. Just last fall the transport finally gave up the ghost, and I replaced it with a $250 Onix XCD-88. The Onix blows it away, and I haven't even started with the mods yet. :-)
My first CD player was in 1987. I don't remember which company anymore even though they were still very new. I do remember my next one after it though somewhere between late 1988 and early 1989. My parents bought me a Carver CD player along with an integrated Carver amp and some JBL floorstanding speakers as a holiday gift. My friends brother sold audio equipment and I begged for months to get a system from him at a good discount.

I'll never forget that system, it was my first real Hi-Fi system. My really good/close friends still remember the "Sonic Hologram" TM because of how great that system sounded at the time in our age group (I was only 15). Spending that kind of money on equipment at that age was unheard of among my peers, and so was the sound quality of my system compared to everyone else's dinky one-piece-asian-stereo-stack.

Thus, an addiction was started, and I'm not referring to just the audio equipment (read below). Of course, compared to my parent's LP collection and whole house Hi-Fi system it probably wasn't anything special. At the time though, it was everything to me. I spent most afternoons floating in the digital aether on my bed, in my room after school.
Mine was a JVC, bought in 1989. I still use it in my excercise room. It has a digital out, a headphone jack and even has a variable out, although I've never that feature.
1985 Magnavox CD 650 which I still use in my main system in my NJ Beach house system: Jolida 102B integrated driving a pair of Spendor S3/5's with a REl Storm III. Sometimes I think this simple system with the Magnavox bests my big rig in my everyday house.
dbx dx5. Still works perfect to this day and has some of the best error control ever incorporated into a unit. My view.
c-ya
ToddG