does MacBook Pro need a DAC?

Not an engineer with a basic question. Just got a new MacBook Pro. It has AudioMIDI setup with format up to 96k hz.
I am using it by plugging in a cable into a headphone jack with the other end going into the receiver. A friend suggested I get a DAC. but I don't see what purpose would an additional DAC serve. Isn't my MacBook Pro already converting digital to analog signal? and is it doing it efficiently? enough for high quality reproduction? thanks in advance to all who respond
petar3
Does not require an external DAC, but one can improve sound quality. You may or may not think it’s worth the effort.
I plug my RCA to mini-adaptor into the headphone jack on my MacBook Pro, that's how I watch movies. Then to improve the sound I move one Synergistic ECT and stick it on the laptop. Finally I place one of the amazing eCards on it. These improve both image and sound. It works really well and my standards are fairly high. https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/8367

Yes you can do even better with a DAC. A DAC that will also sound even better with an aftermarket power cord. And sitting on Cones. On a good Shelf. With a better interconnect. Before you know it you've spent as much as the laptop, which ultimately is what you still have, a movie off a laptop. Which can be quite good, and very cost effective. But only as long as you let it be cost effective.