Once Were Brothers in theaters Friday, February 28th

The new documentary on the greatest self-contained (songs, instruments, vocals) Rock ’n’ Roll band in the music’s history---The Band, is in theaters tomorrow. Quotations from the movie:

John Hammond Jr.: "Bob Dylan thought they were phenomenal. So he hired the guys."

Taj Mahal: "If there was any American musicians that were comparable to what The Beatles were, it woulda been them."

Bruce Springsteen: "There is no band that emphasizes becoming greater than the sum of their parts than The Band. (I disagree; even taken individually, Levon Helm, Rick Danko, Richard Manual, Garth Hudson, and Robbie Robertson are master musicians, singers, and songwriters).

Bruce continues: "When they came together, something miraculous occurred."

Eric Clapton: (upon hearing Music From Big Pink) "I thought, this is huge. It changed my life."

Mine too, along with every good musician I knew then and have known since.

128x128bdp24
Prompted by this thread, I listened to The Band and Music From the Big Pink last night.

It was good, better than I had remembered it, but still just a great example of a garage band, as the poster above implied.

It may be that time alignment is also an issue. Maybe those who have not been around when The Band was at its peak simply do not have that emotional, maybe even nostalgic, connection. We may be looking at them as just another band among many that we have heard until 2020, and not the breakthrough artist of 1969.
All most everyone you mentioned could only say what they  thought   relative to what they did.
I get what the band was , the best of rock .
The best of rock is below average compared to Jazz or Classical .Not my opinion , it's a fact .

I like to hang with artists who see the beauty and creativity in each other’s work and thru competition, collaboration, etc raise each other up. I prefer the same here..
But... while I think of it...

what in particular are you doing with your limited time here in Eden?

i try to ask myself that each day....

today we are picking just the right tube to color a ribbon vocal microphone 

btw, the Berlin Philharmonic has a most excellent app
bdp24, you could live by Bach alone , if it was the ONLY music in the world music would still be God’’s greatest gift to man(save his Son) and everyone would be happy .
That said , I do like to listen to Mozart, Brahms . Haydn, Puccini and several hundred other great composers .Jazz as well , The great saxophonist Sonny Stitt and the fabulous Cuban Pianist Gonzalo Rubalcaba, one of the GREATEST keyboard artists alive get heavy duty on my systems .Anyone who even claims to like music should hear Rubalcaba

Jazz and Classical deserve equal billing because they are SERIOUS
music .Some R&B and folk is as well .Rock is not .