Old FM Tuners....O.K., Great or Folklore...

You can name most of them, Like the Sansui 719 and more. Has anyone actually had the chance to compare an older well thought of tuner to the better current manufactured units..like Magnum Dynalab..etc.? The high end Audio hobby/passion is filled with nostalga. As an example, I put much money into a 1960 Corvette..when done my Dad said, "you know what you have there.....an old car". When I got some newer cars I learned he was right. So is older audio gear more than a trip down memory lane? And I know there are some classic models from ARC, CJ and more..... so ie: are some old classics simply old classics compared to more current high end technology and components within those units? Just asking.
whatjd
like all other opinions out there, it is in the end result someones opinion.

Thank you for sharing that amazing insight!
   Sarcasm is usually a good way to test possible truths and/or non-truths.  Sarcasm has been one of the mainstays of comedians and humor since before the time of Shakespeare.  Don Rickles was a bell cow for sarcasm.             

"Whilst it is said by modernists that sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, listening to Hamlet could certainly change anyone's mind. Hamlet uses sarcasm as a relatively threatening and aggressive thing - he's not being that way for "laughs", there is usually only an audience which would not recognise the sarcasm"
I have a McIntosh MR85 tuner and a McIntosh MR88 tuner with HD and XM in 2 different systems and listen to both daily. 
Nostalgia can have a warm glow (must be tubes) and embellish memories.  In my teens I had a decent, real hi-fi, but also bought a mint console, mono radio from the 40's.  It was simply a beautiful example of Art Deco design...and yes the way it looked likely had impact on what I thought of the sound(it could help with my rock and roll fever by picking up WLS out of Chicago)  It is hard to think of what it might be worth today, had I not sold it....or the mint '67 silver Stingray with both the soft and hardtop and the 350hp 327 and Muncie 4-speed......I certianly wouldn't want that back!

The only reason I will part with my tubed 1965 Mac MR71, is if I'm gifted either a Marantz 10B or REL.

Tubed is the only way to fly!