Stereo Receivers from the past...

Perhaps a useless question, but even though I am not a politician I have the right to be useless sometimes! 
In thinking about a second bedroom system...If I were to use a receiver any toughts on good sounding ones you have had.  The best I have had, in the past, were the original Magnum Dynalab 208 and the Nakamichi SR-3a.  I had sold both.  But now with thinking of a bedroom system those do come to mind, but wondering if you have experienced a stereo receiver that you feel is better.  I am not much into compressed streaming but do enjoy a local/public classic Jazz station and the Jazz and female vocals music I own.   Thanks 
whatjd
A lot of guys brought back Sansui from Nam in the day.  It was not bad...

Nak's break; Marantz items were mostly pretty good.  Pioneer, not so much.  Tandberg made a decent one, as I remember.

Cheers!
I loved my jvc Rx-40 from 1983....super class A with built in graphics equalizer. It sounded great with my old jensen system 400 acoustic suspension speakers.... 
If you are willing to go with two pieces of gear instead of one it is generally better to go with an integrated amp plus a separate tuner. Integrated amps were built to be more robust than receivers and will often handle difficult speaker loads better.

An example would be a Denon PMA 2000R or 2000IVR. I have the latter and it is an incredible amp. It puts out 80 watts into 8 ohms and 160 watts into 4 ohms. It is a brute of an amp (nearly 60 lbs) and has all the features you could want. It runs my desktop system where I've matched it with a Denon tuner and a Denon CD player of similar design and vintage. It's an attractive stack. I paid $500 for my Denon PMA 2000IVR in pristine condition with remote.

One advantage of going with a separate amp and tuner is that if you are seriously into FM listening you can get a better tuner than you would typically find in a receiver.

I've had several vintage receivers including a Pioneer 1010 and a Marantz 2325. These were beautiful pieces and I wish I had kept them. They now go for ridiculous prices - especially the Marantz 2325, but my Denon combination certainly outperforms them.
8th note

That is a good thought.  I worked in the music and audio business at one time..then high-end Scandinavian and Italian modern furniture.  I had a pretty stable system for some time and my new accomidations have me thinking of a bedroom system.  Thanks for the input.  Seems like Audio Research pre/power, the big Magnepans and a couple of high-end sources are, likely, too much for my bedroom...but then again, if I get rid of the chest of drawers and the Hans Wegner rocking chair...they just might....................