Magnepan 3.7

Looks nice, link below.

“the 3.7 is a 3-way, full-range ribbon speaker with a very ‘fast’ quasi-ribbon midrange and true ribbon tweeter.”

"The 3.7 is available in new aluminum trim or our traditional wood trims of oak and cherry. Fabric options are off-white, black and dark gray. Suggested list pricing starts at $5495/pair for aluminum or oak versions, or $5895/pair for the dark cherry versions."

Magnepan 3.7
james63
James,

I think the screws have to go through the mylar, their purpose is to compartmentalize the membrane so that the resonant frequencies are dispersed. Also, the Miloxane or NDF-30 coating shouldn't be tacky, if it is, it's deteriorating and the speakers will eventually delaminate.

Anyway, no argument that they're put together with glue and string. I just haven't noticed any real problems as a result, the only thing that happens to them is that they sometimes delaminate after many years and have to be refurbed, and the true ribbon tweeters will eventually sag and need to be restrung. From my perspective, the question is whether I'd rather have a speaker that looks beautiful inside or one that's equally functional but $1000 cheaper, but of course others may differ. I don't think it affects longevity, though, since the Miloxane goo is needed to damp diaphragm resonances. AFAIK, there's no material, however expensive, that would stand up longer, given the stresses to which its subjected.

Some people do upgrade their Maggies to higher standards, with exotic crossover components, better binding posts, and wood or metal frames.
Josh358,

I think you and I are on the same page. I guess I am more disappointed with the build quality than anything because I would like to own a pair. I would buy the 1.7 because they are only a few grand but once it clears five or more I really want them to look nice and hold up. It is really the only reason I do not own a pair of 3.6 or 20.1s.

Just think of what a high-end Magnepan could be in an aluminum frame with dove-tails attaching the mylar, with different sections for the mid/bass (rather than screws separating them), and a bonded ribbon/mylar rather than glue.

Never the less I hope these sound good. The dark cherry model in the picture looks very nice. Does anyone know if they improved the quality of the crossovers?

I think if I got panel speakers (I am not planning to) I would keep my current box speaker setup and use the back of the room for the panels. I would put my chair on casters and just turn it toward whatever system I wanted to use.
People also replace the 3M glue with Gorilla glue. Sticks like crazy and delam problems are history.
Check out the (Extensvie) DIY crowd over at Audio Asylum....the Planar Asylum, at that.
Many discussions have been had about the cost/ benefit of Magnepan speakers. Definitely built to a price, the question becomes one of 'Would they sell at 2x the price with 'perfect' build?' That would be real wood frames, no staples and upgraded crossover components.
If my 1.6s had cost 3K$ when I looked for speakers, I'd be listening to Vandies.
Josh:
The new 3.7s use as you stated the aluminum ribbon foil in the tweeter, but the quasi-ribbon is used only in the midrange. The bass panel still uses the planar magnetic driver.

The 20.1 has a simillar configuration, except both the bass and midrange sections are push-pull.
Since 1977 I've owned three sets of Magnepans, MG-1, 2.5R, and now 3.6R and never had any problems. Jim Winey's formula has worked since 1969 and has satisfied many hundreds of owners. If the speakers do need service they can be sent to Magnepan which is located in the USA, not China, for repair. Certainly one is entitled to one's taste in music and music reproduction, there are many fine choices among loudspeakers besides Magneplanars, but as far as product value and performance are concerned, our country would be in far better shape if our corporations were as reliable and focused as Magnepan.