Magnepan 3.7

Looks nice, link below.

“the 3.7 is a 3-way, full-range ribbon speaker with a very ‘fast’ quasi-ribbon midrange and true ribbon tweeter.”

"The 3.7 is available in new aluminum trim or our traditional wood trims of oak and cherry. Fabric options are off-white, black and dark gray. Suggested list pricing starts at $5495/pair for aluminum or oak versions, or $5895/pair for the dark cherry versions."

Magnepan 3.7
james63
People also replace the 3M glue with Gorilla glue. Sticks like crazy and delam problems are history.
Check out the (Extensvie) DIY crowd over at Audio Asylum....the Planar Asylum, at that.
Many discussions have been had about the cost/ benefit of Magnepan speakers. Definitely built to a price, the question becomes one of 'Would they sell at 2x the price with 'perfect' build?' That would be real wood frames, no staples and upgraded crossover components.
If my 1.6s had cost 3K$ when I looked for speakers, I'd be listening to Vandies.
Josh:
The new 3.7s use as you stated the aluminum ribbon foil in the tweeter, but the quasi-ribbon is used only in the midrange. The bass panel still uses the planar magnetic driver.

The 20.1 has a simillar configuration, except both the bass and midrange sections are push-pull.
Since 1977 I've owned three sets of Magnepans, MG-1, 2.5R, and now 3.6R and never had any problems. Jim Winey's formula has worked since 1969 and has satisfied many hundreds of owners. If the speakers do need service they can be sent to Magnepan which is located in the USA, not China, for repair. Certainly one is entitled to one's taste in music and music reproduction, there are many fine choices among loudspeakers besides Magneplanars, but as far as product value and performance are concerned, our country would be in far better shape if our corporations were as reliable and focused as Magnepan.
Maggies are very good value, the 1.6 and now the 1.7 are really good value and with a few mods they step up to another level, not so much for the 3.6 or the 20.1.

In all my magnapan experiences i have never heard better performance from 20.1's. nor 3.6 over the smaller less costly models. I have heard 3.6 sound better than 20.1 and i have heard 1.6/1,7 sound better than the 3.6/20.1

The 20.1/3.6 has a better tweeter and hence better top end, but poor xover /build quality i have never heard them fully better the smaller speakers and at a 1/10 of the cost, the bigger models don't fly in my books.

Ohhh i have a few friends currently with 20.1's I'm still waiting for them to finish their "mods" and then the "phone call" to prove me wrong , at 5+ times the cost of a 1.7 i find it absurd, but they are having fun and it makes for good entertainment value ..... :)

regards,
Josh358 wrote :
Unsound, a quasi ribbon is a ribbon that is attached to a mylar backing. A true ribbon is just the foil, without a backing.

Hello Josh,

The magnetic assembly is what determines if it is a true ribbon or not , not the type of diaphram, FWIW all foil diaphragms will have some sort of mylar backing, it reduces ringing.