Experiences with ModWright Sony 999ES

Hi,

I'm in the market for a new CD/SACD player. A short
list of my top contenders are the following

Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista SACD
Wadia 302
Audio Aero Prima
McCormack UDP1
Krell SACD Standard(Not really sure about this one though)

On a recommendation I got from my previous post I called
Frank Stuppel at fsaudio.com. Franks a nice guy and was
extremely helpful with his opinions and suggestion. One
option he said I should consider is the ModWright Signature
Truth Sony 999ES for about $2700.

After doing a little research here and on AudioAsylum it seems that Dan Wright and Richard Kern really do some impressive work. I do admitt to being a little more that
curious now. I was hoping to get some feedback from anyone
who has a Modwright Sony. Have you had any reliablity issues? Do you feel that the ModWright Sony is in the
same league sonically as my other contenders? I would
certainly appreciate your experiences and advice.

Thanks
Cmach
cmach
Mike,
You took the words right out of my mouth.

The bottom line is I find myself engrossed in the music with the Modwright DVP-9000ES. The music just seems to have more emotion.

A fellow A'gon member led me in the right direction regarding the Modwright and I have not looked back since. The only regret that I have is the lack of sleep at night. It is 2:00-3:00 a.m. before I shut it down.
Modwright 999es beats trivista dac (stock) in my system in almost all aspects. Have not tried trivista player. I prefer it to cx 7, and wadia 861 in my sys.

In shootout from audio circle, some prefer audio logic dac and dodson 218.
I discovered a Modwright Sony 999ES player while going to audition an Audio Aero Capitole. The Sony was splendid with voices and a dud with Beethoven's "Eroica." But it was using a poor stock power cord. Anyway, poor PC and all, it was the sweetest and smoothest of all players except for the Audio Aero and Electrocompaniet lines, which were actually too smooth for me. The Modwright Sony was thrilling on operatic voices--Fleming, Callejas, Villazon--beautiful up the scale and great micro-dynamics all the way. No noticeable rolloff, but instead a kind of blooming of the voices in the high frequencies. The smooth players rounded them off too much. I called Dan Wright, the modifier, who told me the reason may be because the unit has Bybee filters installed in the analog section. I couldn't quite figure that out, as it should lower noise floor, but the voices? I guess it also dampens high-frequency distortion. Wright was surprised, though, that I liked the Sony better than his modded Denon 3910 as the Sony is thought by most to be more "forward" than the Denon, which he feels can be said to be slightly more neutral. I found my auditioning to prove the opposite, but perhaps the Modwright Denon unit I heard previously was "tuned" to play more rock and roll in terms of its companion components (Antique Sound Labs monoblocks, Modwright SWL preamp). For me, with my music, the Modwright Sony 999ES has a much sweeter and thrilling sound.

The Modwright Sony, by the way, has 2 TungSol output tubes, very cheap to replace.

For romantic opera and Renaissance choral music, the Modwright Sony is one of the two the best players I have auditioned (14 different redbook and modified universal players, with the APL Denon 3910 being excellent as well). I hope to improve its lack of dynamics on orchestral pieces by trying various powercords--Shunyata Diamondback, Acoustic Zen Tsunami, PS Audio Plus.