+1 jrpnde and dmoss74

”Thick as a Brick” is very well recorded and has gobs of dynamic range.  It is the only LP with such dynamic range that has actually startled me upon first listen, much more so than hearing Mickey Hart’s “The Beast” accidentally fall over on Reference Recording’s “Dafos”.  The MFSL half-speed remastered release of “TaaB” from the late 1980s really shines; that could well be why used copies don’t seem to appear too frequently.  I can’t imagine how good an original first pressing or “hot stamper” could well sound.

Enjoy the music!
Jamie Cullum - Frontin' (2004) Verve
- a piano Jazz trio in very fine form- 

Happy Listening!

"Me And Bobby McGee" by Gordon Lightfoot. When Walter Davies (my first hi end dealer, later known for his Last Record Care products) played the LP track for Bill Johnson and I in 1973, Bill’s response was: "That is a great sounding recording." Gordon’s voice and acoustic guitar are suspended in air, right there in front of you. Lots of inner detail and microdynamics in the fingerpicked guitar playing. My by far favorite version of the song.

"Donovan’s Colours" by Van Dyke Parks, off his Song Cycle album. VDP’s is the genius who collaborated with Brian Wilson on the ill-fated Smile album. Song Cycle was his first solo album, and is unlike anything you have ever heard. This song was included on an LP JBL produced in the late-60’s, for use in loudspeaker demoes.

"Superstition" by Stevie Wonder. Punchy drums (played by Stevie himself), deep electric bass, percussive staccato clavinet. Original pressing on Tamla, recent reissue on MoFi.

"Would I Lie To You?" by The Eurythmics. 12" 45. The 41Hz open E string electric bass note will severely test your woofers' displacement capabilites. Drumming by Clem Burke of Blondie.

"Mercury Blues" by David Lindley. Play it loud.

"Mercury" from Holst’s The Planets. The New Philharmonia Orchestra conducted by Sir Adrian Boult, on EMI. The percussion section of the orchestra is heard elevated on stage risers, sounding WAY further away than is the wall behind your loudspeakers (assuming they are planars ;-) .