Is there a such too much power for speakers?

How do I know the amp I’m looking to buy is beautifully enough power for my speakers?
what will happen when the power amp is (way) over or too much power for the speakers?
My Local dealer quoted, “there aren’t limits on power amp, (but my budget that is). The more, the better, they added”
Their suggested highest amplifications are in $75k range (my speakers are in $20k range)
Please help.
128x128nasaman
The rating of Watts can sometimes be misleading. A Krell monoblock may be rated at 100 watts -a cheap amplifier might also be rated at 100 watts. The distance between them may be huge in sound levels. Try to arrange listening sessions with loaned equipment in your own home. If you are spending a large sum of money it needs to suit your environment.

So a square wave will shorten a transducers life faster than any mega watt amp will. You just have to know your listening habits ( loudness ) and when your amp begins to clip that out going signal. Square wave formation is essentially DC. And DC IS DEATTH for a speaker. 
I was using my VAC PA 80 80 set in triode mode putting out 35 watts per side. My pre amp is the ARC LS15  They were driving my speakers that have built in powered sub woofers. I have on order a pair of Maggie's 0.7 speakers. I decided to buy a used amp that would have more power to drive the Maggie's as they like power. I found and bought ( for less that a decent set of speaker wires) a Spectron class D amp. I've spent days listening to CD's that I've owned from the eighties that I know inside out. They have never sounded so dynamic, energetic, amazing inner detail, and a wide sound stage I've never heard before. I'm just amazed on what I'm hearing that I've never heard before. So if high wattage produces what I'm hearing, give me more!!

John Ulrick produced the first commercially available Class D power amplifier in 1974.

Specifications
  • Design: Class D (Switching) Stereo Power Amplifier
  • Power: 600 Watts RMS x 2 into 8 Ohms, 800 Watts RMS into 4 Ohms, 1,200 Watts RMS into 2 Ohms, 1,500 Watts RMS into 8 Ohms in Bridged Mode

The thing is, I listen from low to mid Volume level around late nights.

You want a preamp / integrated with a good loudness switch then. Highly recommend the Luxman 509ux for having low end drive as well as incredibly tranpsarent tone controls.

Best,

E
@erik_squires hi thanks.
i had heard Luxman m900u stereo amp. It wasn’t my cup of tea. I still prefer richness from tube amps.