dCS Rossini Owners - sonic differences with and without the clock

Hi,

I'm two weeks into owning a dCS Rossini DAC, and still very much adjusting to how music is now presented by my Hifi, when compared to my previous DAC.

Curiosity is getting the better of me, and was wondering if any Rossini owners could please share their experiences of adding the Rossini Clock?

I've read all the reviews available from the Hifi mags, Sterophile, AudioStream, and so on, but wanted to get an impression from actual owners of the perceived sonic differences, and how the overall sound changes by adding the clock.
Many thanks!
thefeatherduster
@thefeatherduster said:
...and still very much adjusting to how music is now presented by my Hifi, when compared to my previous DAC. 
Adjusting to better sound or worse sound in your opinion? What was your previous DAC? 

As for external word clocks, I tend to believe the objective reviews over the subjective reviews, and therefore don’t think they add anything audible to an already well-designed DAC.

Case in point: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/auralic-leo-gx-dac-clock-review.11001/

Mytek basically says that their internal clock is the same as the external clocks only with less jitter due to the lack of a long connector. The reason for the clocks is in their view to synchronize multiple digital devices.

The measured jitter performance of a Mytek is practically the same as the dCS Bartock. Also, read what dCS says here:

https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/reviews/dcs-bartok-review-r849/

I quoteth thus:

We began to employ external master clocks due to our experience in the pro arena, where there are generally numerous clocks running simultaneously, thereby making their use mandatory; though our engineers questioned their efficacy in relatively closed consumer systems,

Which is all very scientific and proper, and then they wax poetically:

here is both objective/measured and subjective/listening evidence that they can have a profound effect on the sound

He doesn’t say it improves the clocking. So, have at it if you have the cash. It’s quite possible if there is a change it’s not a good one.
Thanks for the link - some pretty strong opinions on that thread!

The presentation is very different to my previous DAC, the Invicta Mirus Pro, which uses the ESS Sabre 9028 PRO chipset. The Mirus was possibly slightly more relaxed in it’s presentation, and a touch warmer. An incredibly musical and fatigue-free sound. I’m almost wishing I hadn’t sold it to be honest.

The Rossini however is one of the most revealing sources I’ve ever heard. The first week or so literally had me questioning why it was highlighting certain parts of tracks and albums that I know inside out. It has a very natural touch with instruments and vocals, in a very non-digital kind of way. I would describe it as slightly more forward in it’s presentation overall.
Which is all very scientific and proper, and then they wax poetically:

here is both objective/measured and subjective/listening evidence that they can have a profound effect on the sound

He doesn’t say it improves the clocking. So, have at it if you have the cash. It’s quite possible if there is a change it’s not a good one.
That's DCS literally shooting themselves in the foot, by effectively saying that you may/may not hear any differences whatsover!
literally shooting themselves in the foot

That means it actually happened, that they took a gun and put a bullet in their foot, don't you mean figuratively?

I see the comments so far have nothing to do with your request for actual user experiences, just the usual people who chime in based on what they have read elsewhere. The usual crowd who pontificate that something is or isn't worthwhile because they read a review somewhere stating that. Case in point

I tend to believe the objective reviews over the subjective reviews, and therefore don’t think they add anything audible to an already well-designed DAC.

Another way to say that is, "I don't have any actual experience with any of this so I'll just regurgitate what I read in a review. "

As for the Audio Science reviews, the guy obviously goes into them with the objective of proving what he believes to be true going in. 

I do own both and listen to them daily for extended periods. It is by far the most musical, natural sounding DAC I have heard, and as you say revealing.Better than the PS Audio Directstream or Naim NDX with external supply I've had recently. . , although my experience is early on, I would say there is a benefit to the external clock. It doesn't change the overall sound of the DAC, just makes things a bit more relaxed, a bit more transparent. At this level you are not going to get night and day as the DAC is so good by itself it would be silly to think it could be made that much better, but it is better. 

My question is, would you get the same benefit with something like an Antelope Audio OCX that does the same thing for about 1/5 the $$.