Toole and why I like Tone Controls

In another thread I was pointed to a really excellent paper by Dr. Floyd Toole (he doesn't use the Dr. but it is well earned) on getting to neutral.

So I want to go back with a little history. In all of audio reproduction theater sound reproduction is among the most rigidly controlled areas of audio. From the needs of Dolby Surround playback, to introduction of acoustic decay requirements introduced by THX, and more, the attempt to deliver a uniform theater experience has been a subject of serious effort by many, and continues to be so.

That's in sharp contrast to consumer music.

So while this article focuses heavily on theater sound, it also touches on just how difficult it is for even theater sound experts to get to neutral. If they can't do it, imagine how hard it is for music!

And, yes, I'm going to hijack Dr. Toole's paper to plug tone controls. With all the guessing that goes on, not using tone controls, and not having great tone controls to use is folly.  Quote me. I said FOLLY!

http://www.aes.org/tmpFiles/elib/20200201/17839.pdf

Also, personal request, if anyone knows how I can get in touch with him and be a fan boy, please let me know. :) I'd love to hang with him, and it turns out he's a local.
erik_squires
Sorry, to clarify before some one starts making their speaker cables from actual clothes lines....
I meant that the sound that you hear from sheets flapping on a clothes line is what early CD bass sounds like. Floppy, lifeless, like there's nothing behind it.
Thomlinson Holman gave a engineering sales group of which I was a fortunate one..the best presentation ever. In my opinion better than that of Snell, Dahlquist and even Pass all who had been in front of us before. He told us all about the Apt Holman gear and then went into 9.2 before we were barely into 5.1..Lucas did a smart thing when he grabbed that Tom guy up. Tom
One early CD with Golden Gate cable tight bass is Peter Gabriel - Security

disclaimer : you are going to need about 1 KW to do real justice to this

EC : I can probably arrange a Palette demo at the annual gathering of the Directionally Correct Inert Gas Die Society gathering, wine will be served. 
@tomic601 - Before I go listening again, are you sure you aren't listening to the remaster??
Does anyone hear have any actual experience with anything other than reading and gurtitating and  jiving many white papers. This goes the same for all the jive bass threads. Besides me who has ever experienced the obvious location of mixed mono bass to the left or right of center. It is easy to hear the location of bass below 80hz even at 40 hz you just need to have ears and body mass that's just not filled with gas. Phase correct stereo bass makes the sound stage correct not mono bass every where. Use your own senses and listen just dont read lines of others experience your own. Tom