So It`s Ok To Mix and Match Ported and Sealed Subwoofers ??

I`m completely set on adding 2-4 more subs in addition to the one I have now.

Seemed the concensus was to either run ported or sealed not both.
In a music only system like mine the vast majority say to go sealed.

I now realize that the Original Swarm uses ported subs...somehow I missed that part, so there goes the sealed only for music idea !
Then, I see where in a room like mine I might be better off using a mix of ported AND sealed.

My room is about 20' x 17' with a slanted vaulted ceiling 12' at the peak.
There`s a hallway at the left corner on the front wall and another hallway on the back wall in the corner.

There`s a set of double doors to the left that open to a family room/kitchen area. . The double doors are open at the top so it`s not a sealed room.

So...IS IT ok to mix ported and sealed then ?

Steve
scm
Tim..My main speakers are Revel F52`s and I REALLY want to keep the Revel sub in play.
The SVS SB/PB 1000 are the ones I`m seriously considering.
45 days to see if they are a good fit and free shipping both ways (If not)
The 3 sub idea sounds good....and as to budget, the cheaper the better !

Steve
I sometimes wonder if the same effect of a DBA setup can be had with way lesser priced subs !?
Yes. For example, Tim has the Audiokinesis Swarm system with one Dayton amp. Read his comments, how awesome it is. Based on his and others info I built my own Swarm using 10" Morel drivers and cabinets from Parts Express. Same size drivers only somewhat higher quality, which is not my opinion, Duke himself told me mine will blow his away. I don't know about that, but they are awesome. Even with real Rosewood veneer and 2 Dayton amps mine came in under $3k.  But based on my experience plus everything I read learning how to build mine I'd say yes you can get remarkably close with much less expensive subs.
I mean your just pressurizing the room right ?
Yes that's pretty much the idea. I'm kicking myself because I noticed this years ago but failed to make the connection. For a while long ago I followed the Home Theater mantra with full range surrounds. The one really positive thing about that was the impressive bass. Which I now understand why. But didn't make the connection back then. Live and learn.

When you think about it in the simplest way the swarm is just 4 passive boxes with a relatively inexpensive 10'' woofer in each one.

Right. Parts Express was running a deal when I got mine, free sealed cabinet when you buy the driver. If low cost had been a higher priority mine could have been built for under $2k. In light of how good it performs, that is freaking amazing.
If you want to see what DIY with freebie cabs can look like, my system is now posted.
millercarbon :
  If you want to see what DIY with freebie cabs can look like, my system is now posted.
 Very NICE setup Chuck !!  The subs look beautiful
Yes well that is real rosewood veneer, and added about $500 compared to painted MDF. Just don't look too close, it will quickly become apparent these are not at the same level of professional finish detail as say the Audiokinesis Swarm. Not that I couldn't have done that, but everything's a matter of time and effort. This I feel is the right balance for going in my dimly lit listening room.
Rest assured they sound way better than they look!