Considering getting a CD player (again). Used? New? Criteria?

After years without one, I'm considering getting a CD player. I'm not against streaming, but I have many CD's and would like the simplicity of just playing them from time to time. I probably want to cap my expenditure at $700, or so, because this won't be the only way I play music.

A few questions:
If you've purchased a new CD player, what did you buy? Why?
If you've purchased a used player, how old is too old? What factors helped you choose?

My concern with used is that the transport mechanism of older players will be getting tired, and this won't be knowable just because a unit "checks out" with the site (or individual) testifying to the player's working condition. There's got to be an average point for many machines to give up the ghost, mechanically (varying from machine to machine, of course).
128x128hilde45
The tray mechanism opening and closing is the single most often repaired item.  The rest rarely goes south.  IF you have a good repair facility near you, Replacing this one item may happen to you one day.  It's not a killer expensive part to have replaced.  I don't buy any component new anymore as you can get much better sound for your money being used.  Just pay attention to a seller's feedback and try to stay with those sellers that have 100% positive feedback.

By the way, the MW Sony 9000 I wrote about was over $3000 new with the MW mods.  Much of the MW's have upgraded parts and things done to make a standard 9000 sound considerably better.

Bob

hilde45

Keep us posted on your demo, purchase, decision(s). Have fun!

Happy Listening!
If I was buying used CD player I'd really consider The Oppo BD 105 which has decent internal DAC If go you the new route, the Audiolab cdt is excellant, but it's a transport only and was primarily designed to work with the Audiolab 6000n streamer, and 6000a Intergrated amp. But of coarse you can use them all as standalone. Prices seem to be very reasonable if that's a concern. In this review the gentleman used inexpensive external DAC and also very exspensive DAC's with CDT and was very excited about the results 

Watch "Audiolab 6000CDT Review!" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/JAfk5a5M5ds
The TEAC looks interesting but it’s showing up discontinued for retail. Maybe used…

Bob, I hear you about the tray. I think Denver, where I am, may have people who could repair. I love the idea of a MW mod, but they’re way more than I can spend.

Jafant — I will! There’s so much advice on this thread, it gets foggy in my head. However, the more I think about the transport-only option, the more it makes sense -- no money wasted on anything but good, solid transport. I’m just really hesitant to buy a CD player used, even a good one, because of the mechanical wear and tear it could have gone through.

I’m getting tired and need to sleep. I’m really most inclined toward the Cambridge or Audiolab transport at this late hour, but who knows tomorrow!

Will let you know.

In your price range, the Rega Apollo-R. Solid build, smooth sound, no digital glare.