Tannoy Speaker Owners

I have Tannoy DC8Ti speakers.  I'm planning to retire sometime this year, and want to try tubes before I do. I'm wondering what amps, tubes or otherwise, other Tannoy owners have. I'm only interested in power amps.  I've tried the Tannoy's with each of my three solid state power amps: Pioneer SPEC-4 (~36 years old) ; McIntosh MC2600 (~ 25 years old); and NAD M22v2 (1 year old). The NAD sounds best in my system: wider sound stage with better instrument separation, timbre, musicality, detail, etc.  

My current system:  Herron VSTP-3A(r02) pre amp, NAD M22v2 power amp, Innous Zenith MKII media player, Small Green Computer i7 for Roon DSP, Audio Mirror Tubadour III SE DAC, Parasound JC3jr phone pre, and Technics SL-1200G TT w/ Ortofon Quintet Black.

My listening room is small ~13'x12'x8'.  I listen to contemporary jazz (no John Coltrane , Miles Davis, etc) and old school R&B (none of today's Hip Hop or Rap).  I love vocals (e.g., Gregory Porter, Diana Krall, Angela Glaupo, Randy Crawford, The Temptations, Stevie Wonder, Elton John, Chicago); non-vocal music (e.g., The Crusaders, Arne Domnerus, Brad Mehldau, Dave Grusin, Stanley Clarke) and the combination of both (e.g., War, Earth, Wind, and Fire, Santana).

I'd like to audition whatever I buy in my system.  I'd prefer to start looking at amps that others are using. My budget is ~$7500, and I'm in no rush.

I'm not opposed to used, and there are several deals on agon at the moment. In particular a Zesto Audio Bia 120 that is about 60% below retail.  In my area, there are several high-end audio stores and independent manufactures that produce high-quality / reference grade components.  I realize there's the usual suspects (Cary, Rogue, PrimaLuna, Luxman, etc.).  I also plan to visit the local manufactures.

128x128oldschool1948
@oldschool1948  I hope non-Tannoy folks can chime in...

What volumes do you typically listen at? I ask because your DC8Ti are not the most efficient and different than prototypical Tannoys, in that regard; However, your room is small.

Specifications copied below, as they may be helpful for recommendations:

PERFORMANCE
Recommended amplifier power (Watts RMS)30 – 200 Continuous power handling (Watts RMS) 100 Peak power handling (Watts)400
Sensitivity (2.83 Volts @ 1m) 89dB Nominal Impedance (Ohms) 8
Frequency response (-6dB) 33Hz – 35kHz
Dispersion (degrees conical) 90
DRIVE UNITS
Dual Concentric™ high frequency 25mm (1”) Titanium dome with Tulip WaveGuide™
Dual Concentric™ low frequency 200mm (8”) treated paper pulp cone with rubber surround. 44mm (1.75”) edge wound voice coil
Bass Driver
200mm (8”) treated paper pulp cone with rubber surround.  44mm (1.75”) edge wound voice coil
CROSSOVER
Crossover frequency 250Hz, 1.5kHz
Crossover type Passive low loss 2nd order LF, 1st order HF
Deep Cryogenically Treated
CONSTRUCTION Enclosure
Type Rear ported Volume 43L (1.52 cu. ft.)Dimensions (H x W x D)
excl grille 1025 x 271 x 260mm
(40.4 x 10.7 x 10.2”)Weight 28kg (62.839lbs)
David,

Thanks for the specs.  Why didn’t I think of that :-)!

Unlike my youth, I now keep my listening levels low to moderate. I’m just trying to enjoy the music.  My “rock the house” days are long over.

The NAD pushes the Tannoy’s with ease.  I have the NAD gain set to low and the Herron gain set to high. In my near field listening position, I get a nice bass response with great vocals and crisp highs.  I don’t want to loose any of that with a tube amp, and I’ve read that Class D amps have a deeper bass than tubes.  I also don’t want to use any subwoofers.  

Johnnie

@oldschool1948, The key sentence for me is "The NAD pushes the Tannoy’s with ease."

I have used Tannoys with different amps (all solid state unfortunately) and the sound was always similar. My previous NAD 3020 and current Creek Destiny amps are difficult to compare because one didn't follow the other but I do feel the Creek has more of a sense of ease about the way they drive the Tannoys.

On the other hand could that be down to having to turn the volume dial much further around on the NAD?!

My advice would be to stick with the M22 and only if and when the upgrade urge demands action, to perhaps investigate some larger Tannoys, or maybe some DeVore speakers.

I'm not altogether in a different situation to yourself in that I also want to (must) try out a tube amp before I can say my audiophile journey is finished.

Good luck with whatever road you decide to take.
I’ve read that Class D amps have a deeper bass than tubes.
With the speaker rolling off at 33 Hz, this is no worries. Our tube amps go full power to 2Hz and on the right speaker play better bass than most solid state amps. Its all about matching the speaker and amp appropriately together. I tried searching google for an impedance curve as the impedances in the bass region will tell you how well a tube amp will work. If it really is an 8 ohm speaker even in the bass, it should be no worries playing tubes.