A cable routing reminder

If you have unshielded interconnects, be sure to keep them clear of any power cords - and power supplies. 

A few days ago, I swapped the power cord on a component. The replacement power cord has a relatively mellow signature. But after installing it, the HF started sounding etched. This made no sense. I had solved that problem long ago. This was a mystery.

It turns out that when I replaced the power cord - one of my unshielded IC’s fell from its support - directly on top of the shielded power cord. Even though the IC was laying at a 90° angle, the negative impact was quite significant. After re-routing the IC, the smoothness returned.

So, if you have unshielded IC’s, be sure to re-visit their positioning. Actually, it can’t hurt to re-visit the routing of shielded IC’s, also.

steakster

Thank you NoNoise, I had 4 spots where shielded interconnects crossed power cords due to rack/equipement configuration.

Invested $4.00 in some HomerD pipe foam insullation, cut to fit and nice effect on better sound. Took me all of 10 minutes to install.

@nonoise Thanks for the tip about pipe foam insulation. It works great! I’ve installed it wherever one cable touches another cable - whether it be IC, SC or PC.  Even if a cable is shielded, physical separation from another is still good.
@steakster , and @richmon , you're welcome. I wish I could take credit for it but someone else here turned me onto that simple and cost effective tweek a while ago. That insulation makes it so easy to address the problems that reside behind the rack. 

All the best,
Nonoise