Whats your take on a NAD 3020, I truly believe it defined stereo and still does!

No matter what I have on the audio front, this old baby just flows through my home.The tone is pure ...she is my reference and always be such.Am i the only one who loves the old girls?Rotel, Marantz, HK, Arcam, Cambridge and retro including class A all have a unique sound.
128x128colin44ct357
After reading reviews of many amps and, in particular, the NAD 3020, I was impressed with how many folks were impressed with the musical performance of the 3020 compared with products costing much more in the day.

My most recent purchase was a NAD C375BEE. I auditioned it at my favorite dealer's showroom which also had other brands. The combination I settled on was a pair of PSB speakers which pairs well with NAD amps.

While the 375 is much more powerful than the 3020 I wonder of the 3020 produces music as comparable to the 375? Forget the difference in power. Have any listeners compared the two amps as to their ability to play music? I know everyone has their own preferences. Mine is not just about power but good music.

There are many legendary amps of yore. Just ask if any have compared classic NAD amps to the more modern versions?

You guys are just lucky, its my favorite as well as many other nad amp and cda's.
I rework them for a living.
Dont forget to give the pcb a complete re solder.
A dry joint can cause flames and smoke.
Colin

Hi Colin44ct357,

Many years ago I went to my local stereo store (remember those) and told the salesman I wanted to upgrade my preamp. I had an amp I was very happy with, a Bryston 100 watt per channel stereo amp. We got it down to two different models, one was an Audion that sold for around $3000.00 and the salesman suggested that I listen to the Nad 3020A, I forgot how much it was but it was much less than the Audion. I told the salesman that I wasn't interested in an integrated amp, just a preamp.

I asked him if I could please listen to the Audion as they had the same Bryston amp in the store that I had at home. He played the Audion and I liked what I heard. It was very open sounding with good clarity and great bass. He then said to me, as long as you're here just take a listen to the Nad 3020A. I agreed. He switched the Audion and put the Nad in the system and he played the same cut.... my jaw dropped. It was noticeably better. We were using the preamp output on the Nad into the Bryston amp and I have to admit, not because of the price but because of the sound quality I walked out of the store that day with the Nad 3020A. That little integrated amp had the widest soundstage I'd ever heard. The bass was more controlled with better extension and the soundstage just blew the Audion away. I didn't realize it at the time but I had just bought a piece of audio that turned out to later became a legend.

Many years later it developed a loud buzzing noise in one of the channels. An older gentleman I worked with at the time was getting out of vinyl and I was just getting into it and had just bought a nice turntable and cartridge. He offered to trade the Nad pre (with the buzzing right channel) for his entire classical lp collection (over 300 albums all in pristine condition so I traded him. To this very day I still regret that trade. What a great piece of gear at a reasonable price. 
Hello - recently started a vinyl collection and getting into vintage equipment. I'm waiting on a NAD 3020 to be delivered. I need to purchase a step up/down transformer, as the one I am getting is originally from overseas. My question is, what size step up/down transformer do I need to get? I saw a similar NAD 3020 recently sold online with an included 200W transformer (similar to the link attached to this message), is this enough?

Thanks so much in advance for any advice you can provide.

https://www.amazon.com/PowerBright-Transformer-Countries-Convert-220-240/dp/B000MW83OG/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=200W%2Bstep%2Bup%2Bdown%2Btransformer&qid=1579531671&sr=8-1&th=1
For those in love with the 3020 preamp find a 1020 it is the 3020 preamp section.

we sold a bunch of those w larger NAD power amps ( most of which could be bridged ) and of course the Hafler 200 or 220 power amp. Those make an especially fantastic combo for very low $$$&&