Budget Audiophile system under 2k

Helping a friend out who does not want to spend the 20k i did on my rig.
so...... as a starter audiophile type system, (9x14 room)   

what would you put together for ~2k ish.    

I was thinking Outlaw receiver and Elac speakers    Thoughts?

Thanks

mlapenta
What is your friend going to use for a source? Do you need to include source component(s) into the $2K price?
You haven’t given much to work with in terms of goals, sources etc.  But: The Outlaw receiver is good. A lot of people rave about the Elac stuff, but I’ve not heard them. Maybe consider vintage too. My posted vintage system, with an old 1970s McIntosh integrated, sounds better (warmer) than the Outlaw. I’ve got Focal bookshelf speakers in that system + 1970s turntable, and it sounds pretty nice and comes in under your budget.
I'd go with a refurbished receiver with XT32 RC as a prepro. I'm using a $750 Marantz SR6013 to great effect for HT and was impressed with the correction quality and jitter reduction. Add a used 2 channel Parasound class A/B  and $600-800 for used speakers. Budget cables. That's how I got started, and it sounds way better than new receiver and speakers for $2000.
The PS Audio Sprout100 ELAC System looks like a nice starter system (includes speaker cables). Add a source and a subwoofer to complete the picture. 

https://www.psaudio.com/products/sprout100-elac-system/#tab-features
I disagree that an audiophile system can't be developed at this budget. It is all about the intent, the desire to get the the greatest sonic experience for the investment, which requires a learning curve and research. I would think that for most of us this is an ongoing process. Certainly is for me. A very enjoyable system can be developed with this budget.  

I agree that a little more information on the desired sources would be beneficial.

The Outlaw receiver is a common/quality recommendation. However has many features that may not be needed, FM tuner, phonostage, and DAC. Another common/quality recommendation is for the Yamaha A-S5,7,801 series integrated amplifiers which also possess internal phonostage and DAC. Might be best to identify the speaker 1st, thereby having an idea about power requirement. Avoid speakers that are hard to drive. Look for quality over quantity regarding power. There are many speakers that would fit, Elac, Wharfdale, PSB, Dali, and others.  For the small room under consideration herein I usually recommend stand mount types however there are small floor standers that would fit into this budget.

Again, what source(s) are to be considered?