Resale prices for Oppo Digital Universal Players

May I ask the forum to explain to me the disparity in the asking and bid prices for various preowned and some new Oppo Digital Universal Players for sale on Audiogon and on another well known resale site?  I'm seeing prices all over the scale.  I know they're no longer manufactured but the asking and bid prices don't seem to make any sense.  For example, there's a BDP-93 manufactured in 2011 with an asking price is $250.00, another one built in 2010 at $310.00 and another at $150.00 similar vintage.  There's a BDP-95 Blu-ray Universal Player for sale at $643.00.  There's a UDP-205 for $3,000.00 manufactured in 2017.  There's a BDP-83SE that's 10 years old with an asking price of $433.00. There are three new UDP-205s with asking prices from $3,699.00, $4,999.00 & $5,295.00 !!  The UDP-205s new were $1,299.00 when they became available.  There's a new UDP-203 built in 2016 at $820.00......new they were $549.00.  I own a BDP-103 from 2014 purchased brand new at $500.00 and it's still in excellent condition.  What is that worth should I decide to sell it here may I ask?         
pdn
@briano,Oh, I surely enjoy listening to my Oppo 205.
Talking about credibility - making helpful posts would be super helpful. Instead of bashing the Oppo, if you had suggested alternatives, that would be helpful. Being in the hifi world, for so long you should have known that. Looks like half your posts here are to bash a product that is no more made, but demanding crazy prices.
FWIW, IMHO,
 @riaa_award_collectors_on_facebook  (that's a handful) :-),  post might have been a tad harsh.
@briano, 's response was truly funny. 
Briano, your comments regarding reviewers is not unique and we have read similar comments before. But, to be fair it's not as though all comments about salesmen have necessarily elevated their status either.  

First, the good news. This will be my last post regarding the Oppo UDP-205 player. I decided to reread this post from the beginning. The OP asked about the diversity of pricing regarding the Oppo products. He mentions seeing pricing of $3699.00, $4999.00, and $5295.00 for UDP-205’s. Having owned one, I thought I would reply with my opinion regarding those prices. I was not impressed with the sound quality of my unit. That is my opinion. I may have been too harsh in my description of the sound quality for some people. Later, I mentioned that I did agree it was a reasonable unit for its original MSRP. I also mentioned in my first post that I didn’t recommend it for playing CD’s. DVD’s and multi-channel are a different story. If you carefully read my posts (that means all the words) it is very clear that I am talking about the value of the player in the context of the current pricing. I have been accused of bashing Oppo, having an sinister motive, etc. I have nothing personal against the UDP-205. I’m wasn’t enamored over it, so I moved on. The point I was “trying” to make was that I felt the current pricing of the 205 was absurd considering it’s performance. That was my opinion to the OP’s original question.
Apparently that hit nerve of every Oppo owner here. I was challenging your purchasing decision and you were going to let me know. That’s fine. If you like your 205, please enjoy it. It’s your ears you have to please not mine. However, I still encourage everyone to listen carefully to the 205 before shelling out the dollars apparently required to purchase one now.
Milpai suggests that I make alternate suggestions. Thanks to him, he already has. His post on 1-12-20 recommends Technics, Marantz, and Yamaha. I concur. I would also recommend Cambridge.
Regarding DVD’s, I would also highly recommend tvad’s recommendation of the new Panasonic player.
Now on to my last comment which is very telling of riaa blah blah blah’s last post. In it he mentions that he still has half a dozen Oppo’s laying around. In pdn’s post on 1-5-20 he mentions that he finds it crazy that riaa sold 12-15 UDP-205’s at those inflated prices. This may explain his aggressive comments on 1-14-20. Does somebody have more than just an opinion here. Does he have, oh say, about half a dozen reasons to aggressively defend the 205. 
Look up his comments under the post about modifications to the Oppo players. He mentions what a fine job Dan at Modwrights does regarding his modifications to the Oppo players. Keep in mind that Modwrights full mod to the 205 is just about double the cost of a 205 at MSRP. Why is Modwrights doing such a brisk business modifying these? Also on display are several interesting comments he makes using his people skills. Interesting, very interesting.

I lied. I reread the comments by riaa in the modifications of Oppo players post and he did not endorse Dan at Modwrights. I apologize. Although his posts are still interesting.
Oppo 205 owner here as well, and still satisfied with it for most duties (CD, SACD, BluRay, UHD 4K discs). I use LUMIN U1 Mini for network streaming (it’s OpenHome compliant vs just UPnP/DLNA); and RME ADI-2 DAC for headphones (the 205’s headphone out didn’t suit my needs since I need some EQ for my fickle Sony MDR-Z1R headphones).

I was on the fence in April 2018 about whether I would buy a 205, then I read the notice they were going out of business. So I ran out and bought one thinking I could always sell it to a diehard Oppo fan if I didn’t like it. Paid the $1299 retail price and got the last one at my local Magnolia (the last one in my State at the time actually). Well, haven’t sold it yet despite the profit I could make because it’s just a great all-around device for my needs. I do worry about the lack of firmware upgrades and the effects that will have on compatibility down the road if things like UHD/HDR BluRay specs change.

I’m glad I bought it at retail prices, but I definitely would not pay the current online asking prices.