What's Worth More on the Open Market - Your Records or Your Audio Gear

Have anyone of you actually calculated this ?

What's your personal ratio ?

I have not looked into this in any detail, and have if anything, only recently.....

Told family members (not my wife) 8^0..........something along the lines of ........." this piece of equipment is worth ......this (xxxx) ......." 

I have, told all family members that they could probably start an Ebay Record Selling Career; if their own career doesn't pan out.... with what is contained in the house. I don't think they are buying this idea ......right now.

This has me a little concerned.  

I assume the good records will only go up in value.  

Some gear I own, I believe is in this same state of fluctuating upward values.

Interested in your opinions, and findings on the subject.    Have you crossed this bridge yet ?  

128x128ct0517
Re-reading "Vinyl Junkies" book by Brett Milano.

You die, we buy ...
this is when the dealers will come and none of your family members will know the real value of your record collection. 

In the worst scenario Wife will sell the record for the price you told her (probably $5 for each instead of $100 etc) 

I've started a 3-year downsizing process and have a Discogs store (discogs.com/seller/jazzhotnj) where have 2,000 CDs/LPs listed (out of a total of 20,000) and list new items every day.  CDs are easy to list using their UPC but for LPs I have to take a close look at their  Matrix/Runout.

I'm getting emails at [email protected] from buyers looking for items I  haven't had a chance to list.

Scott   
I think most of us realize selling a collection as a "whole" is a great way to get pennies on the dollar, or less, for it. Going the DiscOgs route and listing individually is the only chance many of us have to see decent return on our collections, albeit at a very large cost of time. 

Selling a gear "system" is also terrible for this reason. Nobody wants YOUR collection of gear or music. They want their OWN collection, and at best they may be interested in one of your pieces here or there. With hifi systems, at least there's maybe only a dozen or 2 components at most, and they're each a large average value, so it's definitely worth the extra effort of selling piece by piece.