How much does a Zobel network and its components affect the sound of speakers?

Regardless of amplification, my Merlin Audio MMI monitors have always sounded bettter using the Merlin RC Master (Zobel) Networks consisting of a Dueland capacitor and a Caddock resistor in series bringing the tweeter terminals. I've heard that some have replaced the networks using Jupiter capacitors and Vishay resistors and different wires and spades. My question is, How much do the networks and their components and associated values affect the sound? At times my speakers, while having superb resolving ability, can occasionally sound edgy, particularly noticable with voices at higher volumes.
pmboyd
I would avoid playing with those values unless you understand what it's doing.  Especially lowering the resistor value can greatly reduce the effective driver impedance, which can be bad. :) 

If you find edgy sound, a good place to start looking is the acoustics behind and beneath the speakers. The floor and stands in between are places to try padding. Pillows and blankets work. 
" At times my [6.5" two-way] speakers, while having superb resolving ability, can occasionally sound edgy, particularly noticable with voices at higher volumes. "

Here is what might be happening:

In the octave or so north of the 2.2 kHz crossover the tweeter has a very wide radiation pattern, so there is an abundance of off-axis energy in this region. This happens to be the region where the ear is most sensitive. Some designers intentionally put a dip at the bottom end of the tweeter’s response which restores timbral balance at the expense of some clarity, as now the upper harmonics in that region are under-represented in the first-arrival sound. 

Your comment that your speakers have "superb resolving ability" makes me think their on-axis response is pretty close to flat, which implies the presence of excess off-axis energy at the bottom end of the tweeter’s range.

You might try this: Turn them up a bit louder than normal and listen through an open doorway from outside the room, with no line-of-sight to the speakers. All you will hear will be reverberant sound, whose spectral balance will be dominated by the off-axis energy. If you hear that edgy signature from outside the room, it may well be due to an excess of off-axis energy at the bottom end of the tweeter’s range.

If this is indeed the case then you might try listening nearfield, to minimize the loudness of the reverberant field relative to the direct sound.

Duke
I have built many speakers and on at least 40 to 50 occasions,  I have compared sound with and without impedance compensation.  I have never found a negative result in listening, in fact 90+ percent of the time it only improves many aspects.  I have also found that if the zmin is high enough (above 4 to 5 ohms minimum) it will improve the sound of tube amps on those speakers across the board.