Subwoofers and Phase Question For You Sub Experts

I use a pair of Dunlavy SC-3 speakers, known for their time/phase coherent crossover design.

When the stars align the speakers completely disappear and there’s a sense of space and 3 dimensionality that I’ve heard from few other speakers/systems. It’s easy to destroy the illusion with things like poor placement, poor setup of room treatments, etc.

Adding subs to the setup is both a blessing and a curse. The Dunlavy’s need some support in the nether regions and a pair of HSU subs do add a solid foundation to music which enhances the overall presentation; however, it’s at the expense of some stage depth, width and image dimensionality. Placing the subs a few inches forward of the front plane of the speakers helps a little but that isn’t where they perform at their best as ‘subwoofers’.
Finding optimal room positions for bass augmentation always creates a clash with the phase aspect of integration resulting in the diminished soundstage described above.
Playing with phase settings has little impact on the problem since there’s just a toggle for 0 and 180.

Which brings me to the questions - 
1/ How does running a swarm setup, with 4 subs, affect phase/time integration with the mains? Does it create twice or half the issue or remove it altogether?

2/ Looking at subs such as the JL Audio F series with auto room calibration, does the EQ algorithm compensate for any time/phase anomaly or is it simply looking for a more linear bass response?

I don’t mind investing in more sophisticated subs so long as I don’t end up with the same problem. I’m not really inclined to mess with software and the like, unless there’s no other way.

Thanks

Rooze

128x128rooze
Used a Lyngrof DPA-1 to delay my main speakers as suggested by JL Audio 10 years ago.
It did work and I listened for several weeks after which I went back to my original set up and removed the Lyngrof processor which yielded time delay, room correction and preamp.
I found the music in my system was artificial enough that it bored me, the excitement and physical sensation was not truly present.
Perhaps after 10 years technology has leaped forward and I am willing try some other devices as suggested by JL Audio eg DEQX.
Rooze, way off topic questions.
What model phono cartridge are you using and what did the Zesto Audio Andros bring to your setup?

m
@m-db 

Rooze, way off topic questions.
What model phono cartridge are you using and what did the Zesto Audio Andros bring to your setup?

m

Using a ZYX Ultimate and the Zesto is great!! Actually just posted a brief review of it earlier today... maybe you saw that?

So your subs are crossed over too high and mucking up image, 

what is the filter set at and what slope?

download Vandertones and get an analog SPL meter, pm me for process 

the vandertones are not built using 1/3 octaves like most RTA or DSP, based on typical nodes in listening roomed, RV is a practical dude, and he read and agreed w Geddes paper and work many many many years ago
Vandertones are a free download, everyone should have them and an SPL meter in toolbox