CD players = dead?

From an audiophile, sound quality perspective are CD players obsolete? Can a CD player offer better performance than an audio server / streamer? 
madavid0
Resurrecting an older thread here as I recently read some information relevant to the discussion. Three months ago, John Darko summarized a recent revenue report from Germany's music industry and he noted that while streaming generates 80% of music industry revenues in the US, it's only 56.4% in Germany. (Germany has about 1/4 the US population.) CD sales are 5% of revenues in the US and 28% of those in Germany. According to recent data from the Recording Industry Association of Japan, physical media accounted for 53.3% of recorded music revenues (no statement about cd vs. vinyl %'s.) Bucking the trend in the US and the UK, revenues from all sources of recorded music increased last year in Japan. So, while most US music consumers are ditching physical media, that trend is not as advanced in all countries. As Luxman is debuting a new line of five new disc spinners this year, they seem confident the Japanese and other markets will continue to support cd/sacd formats.
75% of music sold in Japan are on CD and are still popular in other Euro countries.  New CDP's are still being released.  The latest is from Gryphon.  Good news for me and others who still buy CD's.  The prices continue to fall and many companies continue to release new SACD's.

RE sound quality.  I think the edge still goes to CD's but server / dac tech continues to improve.  Maybe soon.
I look at it this way a format is dying when you can't keep the given player for that format serviced. Vinyl, I can get my 30 y.o. turntable serviced my cd player not so much. With streaming I play the dac until it dies and by then something better and cheaper will be out. I'm not into the best format sound wise just content wise
I’m from the stone age and i just can’t say i could turn away from having a format i can physically hold. I also like simplicity. No need to dive deeper in to that. Being a relative audio nerd, i see a downside with the technically that seem to make things (not obsolete) almost outdated, or close to, very fast.
I have a hard time telling myself i invest in something that is a safe buy.

I must say I am still stuck on the ARC Ref CD9 with quad dacs, two per channel as the best I've heard. Leaves all my previous Esoteric gear behind including cdp and clocks etc. And running my streamer through this unit via coaxial also uplifts my digital stream significantly. Now I need to get this system reassembled one day soon...