Should the Tone Arm be Removed When Installing Cartridge?

I have a Linn Sondek LP12 with an Ekos SE tone arm.  I've been told that a proper installation of a cartridge requires that the tone arm be removed to ensure no harm comes to the bearings in the tone arm. Is that an accurate and legitimate concern for my Linn, or any turntable? 
normantaylor
The task requires some care and agility regardless of whether the pickup arm is mounted or not.
millercarbon, I am not certain of your intended message.  Are you disagreeing with me, in that you think the tonearm should be removed to install a cartridge?  I've never ever even considered doing such a thing, but if I did, I would then be very worried about damaging the cantilever/stylus when re-installing the tonearm. That to me is even a greater opportunity for disaster.  I am not rabid on this topic; it's surprising to me that others might routinely do what I never have thought of doing.  Which is fine.
Been doing it for decades and always considered the arm staying mounted as the third hand needed when the arm did not have a detachable headshell or removable wand like on the Graham 2.2 .
I agree with Lewn, more risk of damage when attempting to reinstall arm with cart mounted.
millercarbon, I am not certain of your intended message. Are you disagreeing with me, in that you think the tonearm should be removed to install a cartridge? I've never ever even considered doing such a thing, but if I did, I would then be very worried about damaging the cantilever/stylus when re-installing the tonearm. That to me is even a greater opportunity for disaster.

Right.

The preferred method is Scotch tape the arm to the rest, install the stylus guard, remove the cart pins, remove the cart, and then install the new cart, etc. 

To remove the arm, move it around, and mount it, all with a cartridge installed is borderline insane. 

But that's why I say consider the source. The source without a doubt was an audiophile. No one else could even think up such nonsense. Normal people have way too much common sense. Only audiophiles have developed their keen obsession of overthinking everything to such levels of absurdity.
You might damage the bearings if you use the tonearm as a hammer! Otherwise, no!